126(The specified module could not be found)

stameystamey Posts: 12
edited September 1, 2005 11:22AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I just installed SQL Backup for eval and when I attempted to run the generated extended procedure script (below) I received the following error.

master..sqlbackup '-SQL "BACKUP DATABASE [PSProd] TO DISK = ''e:\SQLData\MSSQL\BACKUP\SQLB-PSProd20050718.sqb'' WITH NAME = ''Database (PSProd), 7/18/2005 3:47:41 PM'', DESCRIPTION = ''Backup on 7/18/2005 3:47:41 PM Database: PSProd Instance: (local) Server: SVARIDVDB01'', INIT, COMPRESSION = 1" -E'

ODBC: Msg 0, Level 16, State 1
Cannot load the DLL xp_sqlbackup.dll, or one of the DLLs it references. Reason: 126(The specified module could not be found.).

After receiving this error, I went back and tried to execute the backup from the GUI and was successful.
In the case of the script I was trying to execute it from my workstation, connected to the server where SQL Backup had just been installed.

Anyone know what I screwed up?

Thanks,
Chris

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    The reason for the error is because the SQL Backup extended stored procedure has not been installed on the server.

During the installation phase, you might have chosen to skip installing the extended stored procedure. You can still install it using the GUI. Under the 'Tools' menu item, select the 'Install extended stored procedure' item, and install the extended stored procedure.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • I'm getting the same error about the DLL.
    I can backup my databases with the GUI, but not via extended stored proc.
    I've logged into each node of my cluster and made sure that the XT proc was installed. The only option from the GUI is to remove the extended stored proc.
    any ideas?

Thanks,
    Warren
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Check the name of the registered DLL:

sp_helpextendedproc sqlbackup

Then check if the dll is found in the Binn folder of the relevant SQL Server instance.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Petey,
    Thanks for the info. I've placed the DLL there and seems to work ok now.

Thanks,
    Warren