Cannot restore file. Update the SQL Backup server components

slick84slick84 Posts: 7
edited December 23, 2009 9:59AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hello,

I'm getting the following error when trying to restore backup files to my server.
Cannot restore file. Update the SQL Backup server components on the destination server to version 6.0 or later, and retry.

Both my servers, one where I grabbed the file from and the one where I'm restoring it to have SQL Backup 6 running on it. What could be the problem?

Also, is SQL Backup 6 backwards compatible with SQL Backup 5 files? As our SQL Backup was upgraded sometime past week, I'm thinking maybe im hitting these restore issues because of problems with the backup file being in SQL Backup 5 version and I'm trying to restore is to a server which is running SQL Backup 6. Please correct me if I'm wrong and provide a solution.

Thanks,
S

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    SQL Backup 6 can be used to restore all backup files created by prior versions of SQL Backup.

Could you please try to restore the backup file using the extended stored procedure e.g.
    EXEC master..sqlbackup '-sql "RESTORE DATABASE ... FROM DISK = ... WITH NORECOVERY" '

and let me know if it works?

Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • I was using the extended stored procedure and hitting the issue. Anyhow, we recently installed SQL Backup 6 on all of our servers and I let my manager know, he missed a step or something and he fixed it within 2 minutes. I was able to backup/restore properly after that.