Options

National characters in saved script

petanipetani Posts: 11
edited July 22, 2005 1:12PM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
I sometimes have to write national characters like the three danish letters ø, æ and å. When I try to save the generated script by using the "save script" button the three characters are saved as something strange. I have tried all 4 different encodings and they all result in strange charcteres in stead of the natioanl characters

In the preview window above the "save script" button there are no problems with national characters and I can copy/paste the script into notepad. But it would be nice if I could save the script by using the button.

Is there are way to get "Save script" button to work?

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello there,

What are you using to view the saved script? Query Analyzer? It should work properly in QA, but there may be special arguments to give to OSQL.exe if you're using that to run the SQL.
  • Options
    I have tried Query Analyzer, Notepad and Ultra Edit and they are all showing strange characters instead of the danish ones.

Any idea what can be wrong?
  • Options
    I have figured out what my problem is.

I am using osql to install the script on another server and osql reads its input file in the OEM cp850 encoding in the settings on that server.

Unfortunate SQL Compare do not have the option to save in OEM cp850 format and as I se the documentation in in Books online for osql there is no way to specify the input files encoding.

In QA can save in OEM cp860 and scripting from Enterprise Manager can also be saved in OEM cp850 encoding.
    Are there any plans for adding the option to save in OEM cp850 from SQL compare?
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello,

I was under the impression that the Unicode encoding would work all of the time. Either this particular codepage is an issue, or possibly it's a culture difference between the client and the server. Are both the computer with the SQL Bundle and the server you're running the script against set to use the same language?
This discussion has been closed.