Domain Admin can not start Archive Service

biotechbiotech Posts: 9
edited December 3, 2009 5:47PM in Exchange Server Archiver
Hello,
I am trying to get the demo (1.1) working but not a lot of luck as of yet.
After installing the console I am trying to run the wizard. Error I get is:

Service "ESA Archive Service" Failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system service.

I have verified the account (4-5 times), used the existing domain admin account as well as created a whole new account with domain admin privileges. Account has access to mailboxes.
Quite frustrating after having tried it on winXP, win2000, win2003.
Any ideas?

Comments

• Is there anything in the system event logs that give more information as to why the service is failing to start. Also have a look and see if there is anything in the archive service logs

Couple of things to check could be, does the user have start as service rights. We tend to always use a separate domain admin user for the archive service as by default domain administrators are denied full access rights to mailbox in exchange 2007.

The admin console config wizard will ensure the appropriate rights are given to the user. Such that it has domain admin and a mailbox (this must be initialised - send a single email to it to force exchange to create it).

More instructions on the archive service user can be found here

If you want just phone us up and we'll try to help you out.
    Richard Mitchell
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Hello Richard,
    Thanks for picking up my thread.
    Here is the setup:
    -win2003 ent (member server) <- where red gate is being installed
    -installing through remote desktop
    -e2k3 ent(back end) + e2k3 standard(front end/relay/OWA)

b]1[/b
    Logs: (xxxx replaced true domain name)
    (all users/app data...)
    =================================
    09:00:21.785|Trace |Archive Service |4 |Archive Service started, version 1.1.0.205
    09:00:21.863|Trace |AD |4 |AD User cache update forced
    09:00:21.863|Trace |AD |5 |AD User cache update running
    09:00:22.051|Fatal |Archive Service |5 |Unexpected exception occurred, service shutting down
    Cannot find any Active Directory domain controllers for domain 'DC=hq,DC=XXXXX,DC=com'.
    09:00:22.051|Trace |Archive Service |5 |RedGate.ExchangeArchiver.ArchiveService.Interface.ArchiveServiceException: Cannot find any Active Directory domain controllers for domain 'DC=hq,DC=XXXXX,DC=com'.
    at d.a(String )
    at RedGate.ExchangeArchiver.ActiveDirectory.AdUserCache.b()
    at RedGate.ExchangeArchiver.ActiveDirectory.AdUserCache.a(Boolean )
    at RedGate.ExchangeArchiver.ActiveDirectory.AdUserCache.b(Object )
    at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.WaitCallback_Context(Object state)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
    at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback(Object state)
    =========================

Event ID 64 (similar error):
    =======================
    Archive Service
    Unexpected exception occurred, service shutting down
    Cannot find any Active Directory domain controllers for domain 'DC=hq,DC=XXXXX,DC=com'.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    ==========================

XML config is not created in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Red Gate\ESA\Archive Service

Rather strange as the user 'domain\user' authenticates fine just before install starts.

b]2[/b
    User rights to mailboxes.
    Yes, I confirmed on mailbox level that new user (domain admin) was assigned to have full rights to mailboxes.

b]3[/b
    does the user have start as service rights...
    I would imagine so, it is domain admin as well as member of Administrators-local group.

Thanks again!
  • Oooo a new error - I love these :).

We're thinking it's some permissions failure when the Archive Service looks for Domain Controllers using Active Directory.

If you can - can you try running the Archive Service as an Enterprise Admin user and see if that helps things.

Perhaps try using ADSIEdit (google for it) as that user and see if it is able to read the contents of the Configuration node (we use this to determine the domain controllers for each domain).

Another thing I'll mention is that currently the OWA Add-in won't work on a 2k3 frontend/backend split but we're investigating it now to see if it's possible (OWA 2003 doesn't have add-in support so we're doing some quite clever stuff under the covers), hopefully we'll have an answer in the next few weeks.
    Richard Mitchell
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • -new error = don't feel bad I just got that talent :)

"Enterprise Admin user " = tried it no love, original "administrator" as well as new account created.
    ADSIEdit = checks out, used it before.

-Also, I have Primary DC (same LAN segment/network) with a few remote BDC. But the DNS ticks just fine so even if the install is 'confused' it should be able to read ANY of the DC servers. Presumably it should be looking to query for the one closest DC - and the only main DC. Not sure if this would matter.

-Thanks for the heads up on OWA.

Launch Configuration Wizard button has turned into my #1 enemy :)
    I just wanted to try this application as it looks very promising on videos and has great potential to compete and even beat GFI.
    Keep me posted, I would not mind doing some stuff remote but I don't want to waste your time either.
    Thanks again!
  • OK must be something to do with the way we're detecting the DCs for the domain. I've developed some alternative code but due to my vm box dying a bloody death today I've been unable to test it.

Hopefully have an alternative patch ready for you soon.
    Richard Mitchell
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • No worries, keep me posted. I would like to test drive it and revisit it again.
    Thanks a bunch.
  • I getting the same error as this post. has a fix been put in place yet?
  • I have some test code that *may* work but what I will try to do is produce a patch with 3 code paths which may work around everything. You can choose the code paths by settings.

1) Original code as-is (not working for you I know but generally works)
    2) New code (not very well tested but may work)
    3) Just force DCs for domains (not perfect but should enable everybody to get it working)

I'll start work on that now hopefully have something ready *crosses fingers* tomorrow.

On a side note we've done an investigation of the OWA Backend/frontend and haven't got our add-in working yet so for now that's going to fall back to unsupported for now until we work out another approach.
    Richard Mitchell
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Did all the work yesterday - Matt should have contacted you yesterday with information on where to get the patch from.

The new code switch should work although if all else fails you can use the Force DC option to specify dcs per domain.

Hope this helps
    Richard Mitchell
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • richardjm wrote:
    Did all the work yesterday - Matt should have contacted you yesterday with information on where to get the patch from.

The new code switch should work although if all else fails you can use the Force DC option to specify dcs per domain.

Hope this helps

Just sent him a PM.
    Sorry no luck, installer just doesn't "believe me" to be the domain admin :) and service keeps failing to start/install...