Options

Backup verification

PKnottPKnott Posts: 3
edited November 20, 2009 9:07AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hello,

I've recently upgraded from Sql Backup v5.3 to V6.2. I used to be able run the SBaTU.exe to verify a backup file if i received warnings during the backup process. however the first time i've tried to do this since the upgrade i keep being asked for a password for the backup file even though the backup was created without using encryption. this happens for backups created in the GUI and via an sp calling sqlbackup.
as a test i installed V5.3 client and agent on a test server and created a backup and i was able to verify the file without a problem

help!

regards,

Lee.

Comments

• Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,781 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post into the forum.

I suspect that the SQL Backup Test Utilities available in the SBaTU.exe do not support the file format change introduced in SQL Backup V6.

As workaround, you can use the SQBConverterGUI.exe to convert a copy of the backup file into V5 format and then run the SBaTU.exe at the converted file. You will find the SQBConverterGUI.exe on a machine with the SQL Backup GUI instaled in the installation folder '\Program files\Red Gate\SQL Backup 6.

Meanwhile I will check with the development team to see if there is an updated version of the SQL Backup Test Utilities available.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    Hi Eddie,

Thanks for getting back to me. I converted the file back to V5 and the verfication worked like a charm. it took a while as it was a big file but it got there in the end!

Regards,

Lee.
  • Options
    Sorry to revive a somewhat old topic. I saw that a new update came out yesterday. I'm going to update our install, but I didn't see mention of any updated tools in the release notes. Eddie, were you able to find out if there is an updated set of test utilities?

Thanks!