Upgrading from 5.4 to 6.1

ChrisAVWoodChrisAVWood Posts: 361
edited October 15, 2009 5:33AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi,

As a registered user of SQLBackup I was expecting the GUI to indicate that the newer 6.1 version was available either at startup or by checking for updates. When will the Check for updates show that 6.1 is available?

Thanks

Chris
English DBA living in CANADA

Comments

• RBARBA Posts: 152 Silver 3
    Our update server currently lists 6.1.0.16 as the latest version.

SQL Backup should check when it's first installed, once a week and whenever you choose 'Check for updates' via the help menu.

Checks are made via port 80 to update.red-gate.com; please check to see if your firewall will let this through.

Can you confirm that this feature still doesn't work for you?

Regards,
    Robin Anderson
    Development
    Red-Gate Software
  • Robin,

I can get to your website from this 64 bit clustered server and I am getting No updates available when I run Check for Updates from 5.4.0.55 GUI.

Chris
  • RBARBA Posts: 152 Silver 3
    Hi Chris,

This might be a long shot, but I wonder if the machineid in the registry (HKLM/SOFTWARE/Red Gate/Update) is missing. If this is the case, SQB5 will use all the 0's as a machine ID. Other likewise users may have checked 'don't tell me about this update again' and put a mark against this id in our records (which I have just cleared - and there were some).

If this isn't the case, then I'd like to dig further to ensure you and other users don't accidentally miss future updates (a packet trace of the TCP update dialogue would be ideal, such as by WireShark).

Regards,
    Robin Anderson
    Development
    Red-Gate Software
  • Robin,

I've been busy with the latest Microsoft patches. I hope to try this out again by the end of next week. I also realise that the 7 hour time difference makes the communications difficult. Get back on this soon.

Thanks

Chris
  • Hi Chris,

When you do upgrade to 6.1, here is my horror story from the last few days. I actually spent about 6 man hours getting the upgrade from 5 to 6 to take.

1) after deactivating 5.4, I installed 6.1, upgrading (or so I thought) 5.4

2) I activated 6.1 licenses through the new UI

3) backup jobs were failing ("Trial expired." - they were still using 5.x for some reason)

4) contacted support

5) they told me to uninstall 5/6 and reinstall 6 from scratch

6) uninstalled all Red Gate components, restarted SQL Server, rebooted

7) reinstalled 6.1 -- same result

8) I snooped around and found that uninstall had not removed the old SQBCoreService.exe, and for some reason the upgrade was not pointing the service at the *new* version of this exe (after I told support this, they said, "hey maybe there is an old SQBCoreService.exe laying around?" Thanks guys!)

9) after repeating 6) I deleted the exe above as well as its parent path, and removed all instances of "Red Gate", "redgate" etc. from the registry

Finally I was able to install 6.1 and actually make it stick (it was forced to lay down a NEW SQBCoreService.exe and point the service at it correctly).

So, in case mine was not an isolated incident, I recommend jumping straight to 6)/9) above and cleaning the box before upgrade. Support said that "all other upgrades have worked fine" but I can't imagine I did anything to corrupt this experience. <shrug>
  • Thanks for your srory Aaron. On other upgrades I have had the occasional hiccup but I'm only in a test phase at this time. I will have need of a new install somewhere soon and then listen to others experiences.

Chris
  • Robin,

You can file this one as closed as I was able to see and get the update from one server but not from others. I then remembered how to download the Toolkit from your site. That's all I really needed as I save it centrally and update from that location on a server-by-server basis.

Chris
  • Hi Chris,

When you do upgrade to 6.1, here is my horror story from the last few days. I actually spent about 6 man hours getting the upgrade from 5 to 6 to take.

1) after deactivating 5.4, I installed 6.1, upgrading (or so I thought) 5.4

2) I activated 6.1 licenses through the new UI

3) backup jobs were failing ("Trial expired." - they were still using 5.x for some reason)

4) contacted support

5) they told me to uninstall 5/6 and reinstall 6 from scratch

6) uninstalled all Red Gate components, restarted SQL Server, rebooted

7) reinstalled 6.1 -- same result

8) I snooped around and found that uninstall had not removed the old SQBCoreService.exe, and for some reason the upgrade was not pointing the service at the *new* version of this exe (after I told support this, they said, "hey maybe there is an old SQBCoreService.exe laying around?" Thanks guys!)

9) after repeating 6) I deleted the exe above as well as its parent path, and removed all instances of "Red Gate", "redgate" etc. from the registry

Finally I was able to install 6.1 and actually make it stick (it was forced to lay down a NEW SQBCoreService.exe and point the service at it correctly).

So, in case mine was not an isolated incident, I recommend jumping straight to 6)/9) above and cleaning the box before upgrade. Support said that "all other upgrades have worked fine" but I can't imagine I did anything to corrupt this experience. <shrug>
    This is exactly mine problem at this moment