Options

Can't Reset Profiler when Performance Profiling Asp.Net

jcollinsjcollins Posts: 3
I am doing a performance profile of Asp.Net application. I can Take Snapshot and Stop Profiling, but Reset Profiler and Disable Profiler are greyed out.

Any particular reason? I presume that Take Snapshot does not reset my results, so I can't think of any other way of achieving this.

.Net 1.1, Ants Profiler 2.5.0 Build 492. IIS 6 on Win 2K3.

Thanks,
j

Comments

• Options
    Hi J

The reset and enable/disable buttons should be available when you profile ASP.NET. They will become enabled when a connection is set up between ASP.NET and ANTS Profiler; you will be able to see when the connection is made because the status text at the bottom of ANTS Profiler UI will change from ‘Waiting for connection’ to ‘Profiling performance of web application…’

Could you check out that the status has indeed changed to ‘Profiling…’? If so then does taking a snapshot work – i.e. do you get a set of profiling results at that point?

Can you let us know how you get on as this may be a bug and we would like to resolve any problems. Please send you findings to tech support using the email address support@red-gate.com

Regards
    Dan
    Daniel Handley
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Options
    A recent hotfix patch from Red Gate fixes this problem. Thanks!
  • Options
    For others who have this same issue, can we get the hotfix too ?
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    I'm going to confirm with the person who distributed the patch the last time that it's okay to distribute it and get back to you.
  • Options
    We recently bought ANTS and now find it virtually useless on the dev box where it is required, since we can't reset the profiler.

The machine runs IIS 5.1 on Win XP, and I have traced the problem to running the aspnet_wp under the SYSTEM account rather than ASPNET; however this is necessary for our current project.

(In response to Dan's question - on this dev machine, the 'Waiting for connection’ text never disappears, even though the app runs and I can successfully take snapshots).

Any news on this hotfix?

Matt.
  • Options
    Hi Matt

We will send you the patch that fixes the problem with the buttons becoming disabled.

Regadrs
    Dan
    Daniel Handley
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Options
    If you have the same problem can you please email support@red-gate.com so we can send the patch to you directly.

Thanks
    Dan
    Daniel Handley
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    This fix has been incorporated into ANTS Profiler release 2.6. If you are experiencing this problem, please do not request a patch, but rather update your version of ANTS Profiler to 2.6.
This discussion has been closed.