Bug that disables "Edit Project" and "Refresh" buttons

JHuntJHunt Posts: 6
Since upgrading to SQL Data Compare v8, we have experienced the following problem. After opening a SQL Data Compare project and running the Synchronization Wizard, clicking on the "Edit Project" toolbar button does not work. Ditto for the "Refresh" button. We have to re-save and re-open the project in order to be able to edit it.
Jim Hunt
Manager of Database Services
Generali USA Life Reassurance Co.

Comments

• I should add that it's not just the toolbar buttons. When the Edit Project button fails to work, attempting to edit the already opened project via the menu "File \ Edit Project" option doesn't work either.
    Jim Hunt
  • Hi James,

Thanks for your post. There has been one other incidence of this GUI problem in SQL Data Compare and I am working to get a hang dump from this customer because I suspect a resource deadlock or runaway somewhere in the process. At this point, I'd still call it a rare/edge case so it's probably specific to your environment. If you can provide the OS version and bitness, that could possibly be of some help.
  • Hi Brian,

Our workstations are XP Pro SP3 32bit, and this behavior has been observed to consistently happen on more than one of our workstations.

Thanks very much,
    Jim Hunt
  • Hi James,

Preliminary examination of the problem that occurred for someone else looks like SQL Data Compare is ignoring an out of memory exception when refreshing the database schema. Note: this may not be an actual out of memory condition -- it may be lack of disk space or a .NET glitch as well. I'll keep you updated.
  • Hi Brian,

Thanks for the update. If there's any further information that you need from us to help resolve the problem, just let me know.
    Jim Hunt
  • I am experiencing this same problem using RedGate SQL Data Compare. I am running version 8.0.1.9 under Windows 7 RTM.

Thanks,

David
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    At this point, I think the issue is caused by a "System.OutOfMemoryException" when refreshing the database schema that's been caught and silently handled. Since the error aborts the thread, the button is never notified that the refresh is complete and therefore never returns to the "upright position".
    We have got one reproduction of this now, I'm happy to say. This does not happen all the time, but in some databases, a situation comes up where an error occurs when reading a saved schema representation from disk. A bit of the schema can't be deserialized from XML, and an out of memory exception results, terminating the worker thread silently.

We are looking into fixing the problem now.
  • PDinCAPDinCA Posts: 642 Silver 1
    Another "sufferer"...

Just created an empty DB, used SQL Compare to add 5 tables, used SQL Data Compare to copy data and cannot:
      1. Edit Project - at all, and it is saved. 2. See any "Identical" rows, by any and all means attempted. 3. Refresh. 4. View Project Options - menu or Ctrl+J.
    Both Products are the latest builds:
      Compare: 8.1.0.360 Data Compare: 8.0.2.5
    The Easter Egg works fine :)
    Jesus Christ: Lunatic, liar or Lord?
    Decide wisely...
    edited November 18, 2009 1:09PM
    Thanks for your patience -- I believe we now have a fix for the issue that causes the Edit buttons to freeze the program:

http://www.red-gate.com/MessageBoard/vi ... php?t=9880

This happens when comparing some databases whose schemata contain UDTs that return tables.
  • PDinCAPDinCA Posts: 642 Silver 1
    Hi Brian,

Is the link in the preceding post meant to do anything other than open a new browser window at the same topic?
    Jesus Christ: Lunatic, liar or Lord?
    Decide wisely...
    Sorry, it should be http://www.red-gate.com/MessageBoard/vi ... php?t=9880

I've amended the original post.
  • I downloaded the new SQL Data Compare build that you linked to and installed it on my workstation. I've been using it for a few days and it does indeed appear to have fixed the bug that I originally reported.

Thanks very much.
    Jim Hunt