Cannot backup server 2008?

MindfluxMindflux Posts: 47
edited October 3, 2009 6:16AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
10/2/2009 12:09:45 PM: Backing up master (full database) to:
10/2/2009 12:09:45 PM: C:\SQLBACKUP\DAILY\DB\FULL_(local)_master_20091002_120945.sqb

10/2/2009 12:09:45 PM: Error 880: BACKUP DATABASE permission denied in database: (master)
10/2/2009 12:09:45 PM: SQL error 15157: Setuser failed because of one of the following reasons: the database principal 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE' does not exist, its corresponding server principal does not have server access, this type of database principal cannot be impersonated, or you do not have permission.

I can back up by right clicking the DB, and running backup as it runs as DOMAIN\administrator, but when executing the scheduled backup scripts I get error messages like this.

Comments

• I tried using the stored procedures listed here:

http://help.red-gate.com/help/SQLBackup ... Backup.htm

to change the authentication, with no luck. I then removed the ServerCore install and re-installed it entering my domain credentials. However the backups still fire off as NT Authority\NETWORK SERVICE

The SQL Backup Agent is running under Domain\Administrator as well.
  • Ok doke. I can run the script out of a Query Analyzer logged in with windows authentication.

EXECUTE master..sqlbackup N'-SQL "BACKUP DATABASE [XYZ] TO DISK = ''C:\SQLBACKUP\DAILY\DB\<AUTO>.sqb'' WITH COMPRESSION = 1, ERASEFILES_ATSTART = 5, INIT, MAILTO = ''me@domain.com'', THREADCOUNT = 4, VERIFY"'

That works great, so somewhere.. the script is executing under the wrong permissions from SQLBackupC.
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi,

I've recently run into an issue with Vista and SQL Compare that may be relevant, where RunAs doesn't pass Windows credentials over the network. You can try the workaround for SqlBackupc.exe, which would be to use RunAs with the /netonly switch:
    RunAs /user:myUser /netonly sqlbackupc.exe -SQL".."