template question

toad2898toad2898 Posts: 41
edited September 29, 2009 7:54AM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
I run SQL response from my PC.

I have created a custom configuration template and applied it to the 2 servers we have.

My buddy also run SQL response on his PC and monitors the same 2 servers when I am not around.

To ensure we both sing from the same hymnsheet, how do I get the template settings from my PC to his? or should I be configuring the servers instead of editing the template?

Comments

• Hi,

Are you both monitoring the same PC?

If this is the case, then I would just install the SQL Response client on your friend's machine and then connect to the Alert Repository which you have configured.

This will also save you licenses.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Priya
    Priya Sinha
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software
  • I think I get what you're saying.

So the template I've altered is actuallly part of the alert repository?

How will this save on licences, I thought SQL Response was licensed per server being monitored.

Thanks
  • Hi,

Sorry that's a mistake on our part not to make this clear.

So SQL Response has a client and Alert Repository. Client is not licensed so you can install it on as many machines as you like. All the data is part of your Alert Repository.

You need just one license key for each server you are moniroting irrespective of the number of SQL Server instance on it. But licensing takes into considertion your Alert Repository also. So if you monitor the same machine from two different Alert Repository then you will need two license keys.

Please read help or ask us if you need more information.

http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/C ... c79499.htm

This is from help page.

Note: If you have installed multiple Alert Repositories, then you cannot share licenses between them. You will need a new license for any SQL Server you want to monitor using a different Alert Repository.

So in your case. I will install the Alert Repository and then register all the SQL Server instance I want to monitor. After that I will install only client on other machines and then connect to this repository.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Priya
    Priya Sinha
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software