DiskRetry options in version 6 and Full disks

ChrisAVWoodChrisAVWood Posts: 361
edited September 23, 2009 10:39AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi,

Would I be right in assuming that if the backup disk gets full and the DISKRETRYCOUNT > 0 then it will continue to try to write to the disk until the retries count is passed?

Most of our problems have come from no disk space on our Development servers so the backup fails. For a database of over 200Gb creating a 20Gb backup and having a space problem and the software continuing to keep running is not good.

I have had occasions when a backup fails because of not enough space but the partial backup is not deleted causing further disk space problems. Having failed backups delete the partial backup would be a very good addition to SQL Backup.

Thanks

Chris
English DBA living in CANADA

Comments

• Thanks for your feature request for SQL Backup. I have logged it in our tracking system. It will be considered for a future release of SQL Backup.
  • Linda,

I'm glad that you will look at the deleting of partial backups caused by disk full failures.

Can I get an answer to my real question about the DISKRETRIES option when the backup fills up the disk before it finishes. Will the default 10 retries keep trying to backup even though there is no disk space?

Thanks

Chris
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Can I get an answer to my real question about the DISKRETRIES option when the backup fills up the disk before it finishes. Will the default 10 retries keep trying to backup even though there is no disk space?
    Yes it will.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Thanks Petey.

Now I will adjst my T-SQL scripts that we have in our SQL Agent jobs when we upgrade to 6.2.

Chris