Log shipping set up when transaction logs already exist

RichardRayJHRichardRayJH Posts: 22
edited September 22, 2009 9:56PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
The setup wizard for Log Shipping seems to expect that it's the first time tran logs are getting backed up for the source database. If I'm already do 15 minute tran log backups and copying them to a network share, how do I tell SQL Backup to use those for the source logs instead of creating another set?
-
Richard Ray
Jackson Hole Mountain Resort
Teton Village, WY

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Take a look at this article first, which should get you started on setting up a job on the secondary server to restore the log files.

You'll see that during log shipping, SQL Backup uses file search patterns to identify the backup files to restore. However, it doesn't keep track of which files it has already restored, so it needs to move the files it has already restored to another location, using the MOVETO option, so that the same files don't get picked up for subsequent restores.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Thanks. In this application the db to which I want to ship the logs is a testing and development db that really only needs to be kept up to date nightly. It seems like it would work quite nicely to just queue up the logs and then run a job to integrate them into the target db once a day.

In any event, that article covers all the bases quite completely, thanks.
    -
    Richard Ray
    Jackson Hole Mountain Resort
    Teton Village, WY