Start Error: Couldn't determine the IIS Site associated with

Hi there

Just downloaded and installed the trial version but when I try to start the profiler i get the following error:

(am running IIS on Windows 7)

The site I'm trying to profile is working fine and is being served by IIS7.

Error:

Couldn't determine the IIS Site associated with URL 'http://www.xxx.local/'. Please check that the URL is serviced by the instance of IIS running on this machine
RedGate.Profiler.Engine.Exceptions.CannotStartSessionException
at bJ.Launch()
at RedGate.Profiler.Session.ProfilerSession.j()

Caused by:

Couldn't determine the IIS Site associated with URL 'http://www.xxx.local/'. Please check that the URL is serviced by the instance of IIS running on this machine
RedGate.Profiler.Engine.Exceptions.CannotStartIisSessionException
at bQ.PerformLaunch()
at bJ.Launch()

Caused by:

RedGate.Profiler.Engine.Startup.IIS.IISException
stack trace:
at RedGate.Profiler.Engine.Startup.IIS.IIS7Utilities.a(String , Uri , Boolean , Int32 )
at RedGate.Profiler.Engine.Startup.IIS.IIS7Utilities.GetW3wpArgs(Uri url, Boolean profileOnNewPort, Int32 newPort)
at bp.StartProfilingIIS(String currentUserName, String subprocessVariableValue)
at RedGate.Profiler.Engine.Startup.IIS.IISStarter`1.StartProfilingIIS(String currentUserName, String subprocessVariableValue)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext)
rethrown at [0]:
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
at RedGate.Profiler.Engine.Startup.IIISActuator`1.StartProfilingIIS(String currentUserName, String subprocessVariableValue)
at bQ.PerformLaunch()

Comments

• Is the web site on the same machine that you are profiling (the .NET profiling API can't work remotely)?

If they are on the same machine - try using IP adress, or just localhost. I have seen some odd issues with resolving names.
  • The website is on the same PC as VS and ANTS

IIS7 is running several websites on this machine and I use the hosts file to provide name resolution.

I guess I could just switch off all the sites other than the one I'm testing and then just use the IP address.
  • Please try that and let me know if it works better.
  • OK, tried that on just the one IP address but got this:

Could not start IIS.
    RedGate.Profiler.Engine.Exceptions.CannotStartSessionException
    at bJ.Launch()
    at RedGate.Profiler.Session.ProfilerSession.j()

Caused by:

Could not start IIS.
    RedGate.Profiler.Engine.Exceptions.CannotStartIisSessionException
    at bQ.PerformLaunch()
    at bJ.Launch()

Caused by:

No such host is known
    System.Net.Sockets.SocketException
    stack trace:
    at System.Net.Dns.GetAddrInfo(String name)
    at System.Net.Dns.InternalGetHostByAddress(IPAddress address, Boolean includeIPv6, Boolean throwOnFailure)
    at System.Net.Dns.GetHostEntry(String hostNameOrAddress)
    at RedGate.Profiler.Engine.Startup.IIS.IISUtilities.a(Uri )
    at RedGate.Profiler.Engine.Startup.IIS.IIS7Utilities.GetApplicationPool(Uri uri)
    at RedGate.Profiler.Engine.Startup.IIS.IIS7Utilities.GetIISinx64(Uri url)
    at bp.StartProfilingIIS(String currentUserName, String subprocessVariableValue)
    at RedGate.Profiler.Engine.Startup.IIS.IISStarter`1.StartProfilingIIS(String currentUserName, String subprocessVariableValue)
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext)
    rethrown at [0]:
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
    at RedGate.Profiler.Engine.Startup.IIISActuator`1.StartProfilingIIS(String currentUserName, String subprocessVariableValue)
    at bQ.PerformLaunch()
  • Can you try 127.0.0.1?
  • Thats done it. I now have a profile for my web application

Now I have to figure out what it all means...