Restoring SQL database errors with SQL Server 2005

dmoore_97dmoore_97 Posts: 4
edited September 16, 2009 11:36AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
When restoring a backup created from SQL Backup 6, into a stand-by SQL box that does not have Red Gate installed, this error is returned.

The media family on device 'F:\SQL Server 2005 Database Backups\Company10\FULL_(local)_company6_20090912_180000.sqb' is incorrectly formed. SQL Server cannot process this media family.
RESTORE HEADERONLY is terminating abnormally. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 3241)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName ... nkId=20476

Any help/feedback would be appreciated!
Daniel L Moore

Comments

• Can you post the exact command you are using for the restore please (blanking out any passwords)?

Thanks,

James
    James Moore
    Head of DBA Tools
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • I am using the SQL GUI interface but I can also try a restore as a query. I also just noticed that when attempting to view the contents of the database backup, this error is received:

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlError: The media family on device 'F:\SQL Server 2005 Database Backups\Company10\FULL_(local)_company6_20090912_180000.sqb' is incorrectly formed. SQL Server cannot process this media family

Dan Moore.
    Daniel L Moore
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    To restore a backup file created using SQL Backup, you need to use SQL Backup too. If that is not an option, you can convert the SQL Backup file to a native SQL Server backup file using the SQBConverter.exe tool, which you can find in your SQL Backup installation folder. Once you've performed the conversion, you can then use SQL Server to restore using that converted file.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Worked like a charm ...thanks!

Dan Moore
    Daniel L Moore