Feature Suggestion - CamelCase Shortcuts

williamdwilliamd Posts: 34
edited September 11, 2009 7:47AM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
Hi there,

I have a feature request / suggestion for future releases:

We use CamelCase as a naming convention for our DB objects. A feature which would further reduce keystrokes would be to filter the suggestions by the camal casing of object names.

EXAMPLE:

Our database objects are grouped by naming them within a domain (e.g. Personnel related objects begin with Personnel). In order to get to the right object at the moment, we have to type Personnel and then either keep typing to continue filtering or use the arrow keys to find the right object.

Tablename = PersonnelContact
SQLPrompt 4 = PersonnelC.... (continue typing or use arrow keys)
CamelCase Shortcut = PC

The CamelCase shortcut would filter on objects using the captilisation of the object names, so PC would suggest objects beginning with a capital P at the beginning and capital C afterwards.

Its a bit difficult to explain, so if I'm not being clear enough let me know and I will try again. :)
Regards

William

Comments

• Thanks for the idea. I've logged the request. I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who uses this convention who would also benefit from suggestions being selected from suggestions list using these shortcuts.

Kind regards,

David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Hi,

we also use CamelCase as a naming convention. I love the idea.
  • Does anyone know of any other auto-prompting tools that support Camelcase? I'd be interested to find out if there are any existing conventions.

David
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Hi David

Have a look at Whole Tomato -- Visual Assist X , they have what they call Acronyms, its an Add In to Visual Studio to enhance the native Intellesence

If you have an object say processDataSet , then simply typing <pds> puts the processDataSet at the top of the list, hit tab and move on.

It works for objects , variables etc.

It has the same effect as SQL Prompt in that you almost get to code in shorthand but it also allows you to use horribly complicated names for things , eg ProcessIDComboBox , is a default name when you drag processID from the DataSource menu , it would be a pain to code manaually but <pidcb> gets you there. You sort of get used to picking in acronyms after a while.

Imagine ssf xyz and your statement completes for a table X......Y......Z......, or am i just being too lazy

they are www.wholetomato.com

Hope this helps

PS well done on version 4 , despite all the niggles in teh forum , I have had very little trouble since you issued the patch

Cheers

Mike