Add-in fails to load

JP7JP7 Posts: 17
edited September 9, 2009 12:32PM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
Hi

I'm using:

SQL Prompt 4.0.2.27 Professional Edition.
WindowsXP SP3
SQL 2005
VS2005 & 2008
ESET Smart Security 4.0.437.0

I've been having problems with the SQL Prompt's integration on SSMS for SQL 2005 since the beta version.

You can find my previous posts here: http://www.red-gate.com/MessageBoard/viewtopic.php?t=9002&highlight=

SQL Prompt works fine the first time I open up SSMS after a reboot. Close it and open it again, and SQL Prompt's gone. Usually I spend more time trying to get the blooming thing working again than coding actual SQL.

I had a look at the error log and all I can find is some thread exception (detailed in my post mentioned above).

I've tried disabling integration with VS2005 and 2008, removing all other Add-ins, uninstalling and re-installing SQL prompt, disabling the anti-virus, all to no avail.

I really hope you can help.

Thank you

JP

Comments

• I think I may have stumbled onto something.

I usually open my Management Studio from a keyboard shortcut (CTRL + SHIFT + S) I assigned to the start menu entry.

Whenever I start Management Studio from this keyboard shortcut it seems like SQL Prompt bombs out. However, when I start it by simply clicking on the shortcut all seems to work fine.

I'm not 100% sure about this observation yet. Perhaps the SQL Prompt developers may be able to verify it?
  • Hi JP,

Many thanks for your post. I think this may have appeared before, however can I confirm which edition of SSMS are you using, i.e. is it SSMS Express or not?
    Peter Peart
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    +44 (0)870 160 0037 ext. 8569
    1 866 RED GATE ext. 8569
  • Hi Peter

I'm not using SSMS Express. Herewith the info taken from SSMS

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 9.00.4035.00
    Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools 2005.090.4035.00
    Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2000.085.1132.00 (xpsp.080413-0852)
    Microsoft MSXML 2.6 3.0 4.0 5.0 6.0
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702
    Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0.50727.3082
    Operating System 5.1.2600
  • Hi JP,

Please could you go down to your Local Settings folder and see if the SQL Prompt v4 directory is present when this error is thrown?

Also does this issue happen when you try to run SQL Prompt as a different user by any chance?

Also, if you can send us the error trace or the latest application logs when this happens might shed some light to the issue too. These can be sent to support(at)redgate(dot)com FAO of me.

Pete
    Peter Peart
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    1 866 RED GATE ext. 8569
  • Hi Pete

The SQL Prompt directory is present when the add-in fails to load.

I ran SSMS as a different user, and it loads fine. SQL Prompt integration fails only when I launch SSMS from a keyboard shortcut. The keyboard shortcut does not launch as a different user.

The release build of SQL Pompt does not output anything to the error logs when integration fails.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance this time.

JP
  • Hi JP,

We are having difficulty replicating the issue here. Is there any chance you can let me know which service pack of SQL Server you are running?

Also, can you confirm if you experience the same behaviour if you use different shortcut keys? Also, can you tell me the exact code you receive the add in fails to load.

Many thanks!

Pete
    Peter Peart
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    1 866 RED GATE ext. 8569
  • Hi Pete

I'm using SP 3 on my development box, with SP2 on our servers.

Ctrl + Shift + D didn't work.
    Ctrl + Alt + S worked.

It would seem the Ctrl + Shift combination may be causing some issues.

I don't receive any error code or exception message. SQL Prompt just doesn't prompt (as thought it was switched off).

I'm happy that I've found a workaround to the problem, so I don't expect you to solve this issue. I do realize though that one would like to track down the bug, but whether or not to continue troubleshooting is entirely up to you.

Please continue to contact me with any questions you may have.

Kind regards

JP
  • MikeyCMikeyC Posts: 249 Bronze 3
    JP7 wrote:
    Ctrl + Shift + D didn't work.
    Ctrl + Alt + S worked.

Out of curiosity I started SSMS from the menu while holding down Shift and it turned off SQL Prompt, so I assume that SSMS goes into "safe mode" when it detects that you started it with Shift held down.
  • Thanks guys for confirming this. I will let the developers know, however this appears to be to do with how SSMS loads rather than SQL Prompt. I can also confirm that when I hold the shift key down when opening SSMS that SQL Prompt is not enabled either.

Pete
    Peter Peart
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    1 866 RED GATE ext. 8569