Sort order on inserted columns

edited November 9, 2009 5:22AM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
When doing a tab after a * or having inserts completed the sort order of the column names is now alpha. In earlier versions prompt would insert the column in actual table order. Alpha makes the function useless for me.

Is there a way to configure prompt to insert the column in table order?

Tim
Denver, CO, USA

Comments

• Tim,

I don't see that happening with SELECT * or INSERT INTO auto completion. Both types of auto-complete list all the columns in their natural table order.

I also don't see a setting to change that behavior either.

Mike
  • Tim,

I don't see that happening with SELECT * or INSERT INTO auto completion. Both types of auto-complete list all the columns in their natural table order.

I also don't see a setting to change that behavior either.

Mike

Try it using a temp or table variable - behaviour is different in ver. 4 than 3 - column order is NOT preserved..... This is unfortunate
    TomT
  • Yes, you are correct, it does happen with Temp Tables and Table Variables.

Mike
  • Hopefully this will be fixed...
    TomT
  • I am not seeing the wildcard prompt on Table Variables at all

Temp tables list the columns in column order
  • I'm hoping this and the other formatting issues will be fixed soon, it's quite frustrating.....
    TomT
  • Hello,

I think I might have some good news here for all of you :)

http://www.red-gate.com/MessageBoard/viewtopic.php?t=9517

Regards,
    Tanya
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • That's great - thanks for your quick response to the problems. I appreciate Redgate's committment to solid products and great customer support.
    TomT
  • I think I might have some good news here for all of you Smile

http://www.red-gate.com/MessageBoard/vi ... php?t=9517

Hi everyone

I have the same problem with column order in temptables.
    Downloaded and installed the new version (SQL Prompt 4 Standard build 4.0.2.53).
    But it does not change a thing. It works fine with physical tables but not with temptables:

CREATE TABLE #t1 (f1 INT, f2 INT, s1 VARCHAR(20), s2 VARCHAR(20), b1 BIT, b2 BIT)

SELECT * (tab afterwards)
    FROM #t1

There is another problem with temptable definitions that the column order changes in the suggestionswindow. That is, in the "All suggestions" tab it is different to the "column picker" tab both when checking "List in table order" or unchecking it (btw: when checking "list in table order" it does indeed a re-sorting, but NOT in table order at all).
  • Anu DAnu D Posts: 876 Silver 3
    Many thanks for your post Florian.

This is a known issue and is been already logged as a bug in our internal tracking system whose id is SP-2821.

I have added your comment to this issue. Our development team is working on it and will be considered in our future release.

Kindly let us know if you have any other issues or questions regarding the product,I'll like to help.
    Anuradha Deshpande
    Product Support
    Redgate Software Ltd.
    E-mail: support@red-gate.com