Options

Cannot connect to an instance of SQL Server with SQL Backup

NDUCKSTENDUCKSTE Posts: 22
edited September 1, 2009 4:44AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
We have 3 instances of SQL Server one of our test machines. Two of the instances show up fine in the SQL Backup interface and the components install fine. I've just upgraded two of the instances to 6.2.

The other instance shows up with a red X. If I right click on the properties it says there is a connection error. What does that mean? I can't install the components for this instance.

Both my windows credentials and the account under which SQL Server runs are in the Local Admins role on the box and have sysadmin in SQL Server. I have no problem connecting to this instance via SSMS using my windows credentials.

Incidently when I try to run a restore on this instance I get the following error:

ERRSQB: 5150 (Error opening mutex.) (Global\SQBMutex_SSRS): 5 (Access is denied.)

Others things I've tried:
-Restarting SQL Server service on that instance.
-Installing the SQL Backup components directly on the test server vs from my workstation.

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Nick,

I would recommend, firstly, manually uninstalling SQL Backup 5.x from the servers that you want to upgrade using Windows add/remove programs, then run the SQBServerSetup.exe from the SQL Backup 6 installation directory manually on the server.

As far as I can tell, the mutex used in version 6 is no longer "Global", so I would assume that the SQL Backup Agent Service on this instance is still version 5.

When running SQBServerSetup, I believe that you include the instance name in the command, ie: SQBServerSetup.exe /I "MyInstance".
  • Options
    I ended up rebooting the machine and that seemed to have fixed it. I thought I posted that somewhere.

Regards,

Nick
    Hi Nick,

I would recommend, firstly, manually uninstalling SQL Backup 5.x from the servers that you want to upgrade using Windows add/remove programs, then run the SQBServerSetup.exe from the SQL Backup 6 installation directory manually on the server.

As far as I can tell, the mutex used in version 6 is no longer "Global", so I would assume that the SQL Backup Agent Service on this instance is still version 5.

When running SQBServerSetup, I believe that you include the instance name in the command, ie: SQBServerSetup.exe /I "MyInstance".
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Nick,

Thanks for the update. I don't think I can explain exactly what had happened, but it looks very much like the old versions of the server components were still running on the server. I can't think of a reason why you would need to reboot the whole server, though, unless the orphaned mutex was interfering with the new server components.