acr*.tmp files???

randyvrandyv Posts: 166
edited September 3, 2009 5:48AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I updated SQL Backup a little while ago. About the same time I started having a problem with a set of 3 acrXXX.tmp files being created under the administrator account in the local settings temp files directory.

These files just grow and grow until I have to restart the system in order to delete them (without a restart, I get a 'a process is using the file' error when trying to delete).

My reason for posting this here is I finally got a file smalle enough (the largest I've caught is almost 58 Gigs !) to open in an editor. It is pretty much un-readable, but peppered throughout are references to SQLBackup and sqb files.

Can anyone shed any light on this?
What we do in life echoes in eternity <><
Randy Volters

Comments

• Randy,

Is this on a cluster or non-clustered environment? Could you give us a little more information about your setup?

Thanks,

James
    James Moore
    Head of DBA Tools
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Standalone system - non-clustered
    IBM 3850 quad proc (32-bit)
    Fibre-attached SAN. The SAN holds "user" databases.

C drive is an internal RAID with 108 Gb capacity; before I restarted and purged the 3 .tmp files, free space was just over 4 Gbs. After I restarted and removed the files, free space sits now at just over 65 Gbs.
    C drive holds the system databases in the standard MSSQL path.
    Randy Volters
  • Randy,

A bit of an odd question (and it is probably a real long shot) but is indexing services running on that machine? If so is Adobe Acrobat installed on that machine?

James
    James Moore
    Head of DBA Tools
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • I think I know where you are going with this so I will just jump to the assumption and answer it this way....

Adobe acrobat reader verions 7 was NEVER on this system.
    Further, indexing service is OFF on C drive.
    But "something" keeps creating temp files that begin with acr, then some number, and ending with .tmp.
    Further, when they start getting created, you can click the properties page on C and it will indeed have the indexing services checked as though it is on, but when you check the indexing service proper, it is still turned off (I have it set to manual start so it won't start on a reboot of the server).

Finally, just today, in an attempt to resolve if adobe is part of this, I installed a full license of Adobe Acrobat proper, version 8.0 on this box, just to see if that will make the problem disappear, but I will be amazed if it does, because whatever was creating these files up to now, was not an adobe product.

Then there is this, whatever it is, is definitely putting stuff into the temp file about SQL Backup and SQL Backup files. I cannot fathom what that would be, other than SQL Backup itself, which is why I opened the post.
    Randy Volters
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Could you try downloading Process Explorer from the Microsoft Sysinternals web site, and use that to find out which process is using those files?

Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Hi Randy,

Did you get any further with this?

Regards,

James
    James Moore
    Head of DBA Tools
    Red Gate Software Ltd