Installing 6.2

cafemarcafemar Posts: 6
edited August 28, 2009 10:00AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
:?: :arrow: :!: :?:
I have 20 servers using SQL Backup. I installed 6.2 in almost all but one. I tried several times, but always return an error message on the confirmation of the version.

Nothing happened in any other, just one. Configuration of the server is the same as any of the ones I successfully installed 6.2

Any ideas?

Comments

• Hi Cafemar,

this can sometimes happen when SQL Server will not release the SQL Backup dll so that we can install the new one. There are two work arounds which normally work in this situation:

1) Copy SQBServerSetup.exe (from c:\program files\red gate\sql backup\) to the server and execute it locally from a local administrator account.

2) If this does not work and the version of the xp_sqlbackup dll has not changed then log on to the SQL Server and run the following command
    DBCC xp_sqlbackup(FREE)
    Then run the installer again. If this does not work can you let us know what version of SQL Server and the OS the server is running (and any other information which might be unusual about your setup).

Thanks,

James
    James Moore
    Head of DBA Tools
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Hello James,

I followed the steps you outlined. However, I'm still unable to upgrade my server components. I'm getting the following message on the SQL server:
    The extended stored procedure file (xp_sqlbackup.dll) that exists is an earlier version. Check that you have rights to overwrite the existing file, and run the installation again.

This is SQL Server 2000 on Windows Server 2003
  • Hi Greg,

Unfortunately this is a bug in SQL Server where we cannot get it to let go of our dll so we can't replace it (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300965).

The *easiest* way of doing the upgrade is going to be to stop the SQL Server Agent (so that no backups are run) and then to cycle the instance and install SQL Backup immediately from the local machine without using the SQL Backup GUI and then restart the agent. Is this possible in your set up?

If it is not possible for you to cycle the instance then there is a much more long winded way which often works but does take a while to do and is less reliable and much less preferable than cycling the instance.
    [EDIT: I just want to make clear that the second method should only really be used as an absolute last resort (which is why I'm not posting instructions here) and if at all possible you should cycle the instance]

Let me know if the first way is an option for you or if you would like the much more difficult method.

Sorry for the problems you are facing with SQL Backup.

Regards,

James[/url]
    James Moore
    Head of DBA Tools
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • The first option did the trick.

Thanks so much for the help!