Can't restore V6 files onto server with SQL Backup V5.x

RML51RML51 Posts: 21
edited August 21, 2009 9:03AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I made a couple of backups using SQL Backup V6 and then moved the .sqb files onto a server that's still running SQL Backup V5.4. V5.4 SQL Backup does not recognize the V6 files.

Do I have to install V6 onto the destination server?

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi,

You must convert version 6 backup files to version 5 files before you can restore them using SQL Backup 5. We have got a graphical conversion utility that will do this for you, which you will find in the SQL Backup 6 installation folder. It's called SQBComverter.

If you want to use this utility on computers where SQL Backup isn't installed, you can get it from our Labs site.
  • Thanks, Brian, I'll give that a try.

We purchase annual support and upgrades for all of our licenses, so upgrading to V6 isn't too big of an issue for us. However we need to do some careful planning for the upgrades. We have 19 SQL Backup licenses that are used on several SQL Server instances. We backup, copy and restore .sqb files multiple times every day, so we need to be aware of backward compatibility issues. I guess V6 not being backwards compatible to V5.x doesn't surprise me too much.

Thanks again,
    Mike
  • oderksoderks Posts: 67 Bronze 2
    Additionaly one small question: does it work the other way around? So can sqb files from version 5(.4) directly be used by version 6(.2) without conversion? Asking this just to be sure, since we've got multiple (clustered) servers and I'm not in the position to upgrade them all at once.
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Otto,

Yes, SQL Backup 6 is designed to restore v5 files.