Warning 110

tombriggstombriggs Posts: 12
edited August 14, 2009 3:16PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Since upgrading to SQB6.1 (from SQB5), we frequently get errors like the following from our log shipping restore processes:

8/13/2009 7:56:01 AM: Changed database context to 'master'.
8/13/2009 7:56:01 AM: RESTORE LOG successfully processed 0 pages in 0.003 seconds (0.000 MB/sec).
8/13/2009 7:56:01 AM: Warning 110: Failed to save primary log file: Cannot create file "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Log\(LOCAL)\20090813 075601 01.log". The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

This has never happened before, but since we upgraded on Monday it happens frustratingly often. Any suggestions on what's causing this or how to prevent it?

Thanks
-Tom

Comments

• DonFergusonDonFerguson Posts: 196 Silver 5
    I too have been getting this warning on a server that has multiple log restore jobs since the upgrade. I think the previous version created a separate log for each database; whereas, the 6.x version does not. Therefore, if two jobs try to write to the same log file, this warning can happen.
  • RBARBA Posts: 152 Silver 3
    Where potential conflict can occur, SQB is meant to append a GUID to the filename. I've notified the core service developer and hope to get to the bottom of this soon.
    Robin Anderson
    Development
    Red-Gate Software
  • DonFergusonDonFerguson Posts: 196 Silver 5
    While appending the GUID doesn't appear to be working, I have been able to find an acceptable work around.

I have navigated to the Server Options window within the GUI and have appended ...\<database>\ to the Log file folder: under SQL Backup log files.

That seems to bring the behavior back to the way it worked prior to 6.x.
  • I have navigated to the Server Options window within the GUI and have appended ...\<database>\ to the Log file folder: under SQL Backup log files.

Ahh, that's a good idea in general. We'll give that a shot.

Thanks
    -T