Options

Version 6.2 Minor Bug Fixes?

DonFergusonDonFerguson Posts: 196 Silver 5
edited August 13, 2009 1:12PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Latest version 6.2.0.134
Released 8/11/2009
SQL Backup 6.2 is a minor upgrade, introducing object level recovery for SQL Backup (.sqb) backups. This is useful if you want to recover individual database objects rather than restore a complete backup. Version 6.2 also includes minor bug fixes.
:?:

Call me curious, but I would like to know what the minor bug fixes from 6.1 to 6.2 are. Are they posted anywhere? If not, can you provide them?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    RBARBA Posts: 152 Silver 3
    Hi DonMan,

Changes from 6.1 to 6.2, in no particular order:
    • Object level recovery now included (right click a server in the GUI or launch manually from the standalone .exe)
    • Check-for-updates fixed for machine that lack certain registry keys
    • Fixed SQBConverter behaviour on Itanium processors when dealing with encrypted files
    • Handler for exception in product deactivation diologue when licence file locked
    • Some error messages reworded for clarity
    • Log copy queue expiration uses UTC rather than local time, due to potential DST problems
    Regards,
    Robin Anderson
    Development
    Red-Gate Software
  • Options
    Robin,

I have been waiting to start to use 6.0 but noticing first 6.1 and then 6.2 coming out I am wary that you aren't going to introduce 6.3 soon. As a user of SQLBackup for close to 2 years now I have not seen this many updates in so short a time.

Can I get some sort of response that 6.2 is a stable release please? I do understand that the Object level functionality would have demanded a new release.

Thanks

Chris
    English DBA living in CANADA
  • Options
    RBARBA Posts: 152 Silver 3
    Hi Chris,

OLR was scheduled to be released shortly after 6.0, but we had to quickly address two log shipping issues (mentioned in the 6.1 announcement) resulting in two adjacent releases.

6.3 is coming in a couple months (as you rightly predict) and will address some known issues regarding installation. Stability, once installed, should not be a concern. Though we will also be changing certain behaviours (such as email notification) as general improvements.

The 6.X engine is more reliable than the 5.4 engine - so I wouldn't recommend sitting on the upgrade out of concern for the next patch.

Regards,
    Robin Anderson
    Development
    Red-Gate Software
  • Options
    Robin,

Is 6.3 only fixing installation issues?

Thanks

Chris
  • Options
    Is 6.3 only fixing installation issues?
    No, but the 'to do' list does not include any serious issues at the moment (we would have delayed Tuesday's 6.2 release if there were). Upgrading will be a case of running an exe on each server. Installation is quick and you don't have to stop SQL Server. The file format will not change at all.

If upgrading is something you don't like to do too often, but you want higher compression, network resilience and the other v6 changes then you could consider installing 6.2 and ignoring 6.3+ unless you deam the changes to be significant to your circumstances.
    Robin Anderson
    Development
    Red-Gate Software
  • Options
    Cheers Robin.

Having read about and tried the beta V 6 I want to upgrade and need to plan the upgrade approach with the format change in mind but with the 2 point upgrades I wanted to go to a 'good stable' version.

From your helpfull info I can start the planning process based on the version that is current rather than wait.

SQLBackup has saved large amounts of storage for us since we started to use it.

Thanks

Chris