COM+ performance profiling error

I've been trying to do performance profiling of COM+ and have kept running into a "COM Surrogate" error every time I try and start a profiling session. What I have found is that if I have more than 1 class in the COM+ application with a minimum pool size set to something other than 0, this error always shows. However, if none or only one have this value set, I have no problems. This seems like a defect to me. Am I missing something?

Comments

• I don't think you are missing anything. I'm afraid I do not know half of the terms you describe but I can tell that you do and will assume that it is, indeed, a defect so I'll log a bug and post the reference. I will then eventually know what is being done. Sorry don't have more constructive news.
  • Actually, I'be been told we need more information before we log a bug. Can you send some log of the error (either the stack trace or windows event log entry)? Would you be able to help us try to reproduce the problem here (sending your app perhaps)?
  • I am also getting the exact same error as mentioned by pcorkum.
    The details from the Event Log are:

Faulting application dllhost.exe, version 5.1.2600.2180, stamp 41107b06, faulting module profilercore.dll, version 5.1.0.14, stamp 4a574ca2, debug? 0, fault address 0x0002e3d7.

Another log is :
    Bucket 1410467010, bucket table 1, faulting application dllhost.exe, version 5.1.2600.2180, stamp 41107b06, faulting module profilercore.dll, version 5.1.0.14, stamp 4a574ca2, debug? 0, fault address 0x0002e3d7.

It is certainly not possible to send you our application but I will be happy to do a WebEx so that you can investigate. I am based out of North Bay in California and my work hours are from 8:30 AM Pacific Standard Time to 6:00 PM Pacific Standard Time.

This is important so please reply ASAP.
  • maheshws is showing the same error that I am. It is very simple to recreate the problem using a sample application. Create a C# application with 2 classes that implement ServicedComponent. Have a single method in each and add the comvisible attribute and set it to true. Also set the ObjectPooling attribute on the class to have a MinPoolSize other than 0 set on each. Build, run regsvcs and then try to profile it. If you set one or both to have a minpoolsize of 0, it works just fine.
  • I'm only able to reproduce this error for the first COM+ application I profile: subsequent sessions seem to work without an issue until I reboot my XP machine. The issue appears not to be present at all for me under Vista. Does restarting the application immediately after the failure fix the problem, or does it persist?

The problem appears to be due to a module load finished event arriving without a matching module load start event - I suspect that this could be due to a race condition in the CLR, but having to reboot my machine every time I want to try to reproduce this issue makes a concrete diagnosis difficult.
    Andrew Hunter
    Software Developer
    Red Gate Software Ltd.
  • I am being able to reproduce this error consistently.Restarting the application immediately after the failure still does not fix the problem. I need to know if you guys are logging a defect so that I can report to my peers accordingly. If not , then please let us know how this can be fixed at our side..
  • Can anyone having this problem send a mail to: support@red-gate.com subject: "COM+ performance profiling error" and I will get a private build out to you which we believe fixes this problem.