Options

Synch script folder to a new dev database

rroman81rroman81 Posts: 2
edited August 7, 2009 8:36AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
I have just started evaluating the sql compare. I have a version of the database in VSS that i brought down in VS. I also have a local\SQLExpress.DB defined as well that does not match the scripts. When I attempt to compare the scripts folder to the DB, i get an error message stating that one of my tables does not exist in the local db instance. I figured I'd get the result of the scan nevertheless.
So, how would I compare VSS version of the db to a partially complete instance in the SQL Instance?

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for your post.

At what point during the comparison do you get the error, and what is the message?

When you compare a script folder to a live database, the comparison results will tell you which objects are missing, additional or different. If it finds an object that isn't in one of the schemas, it should report it as a schema difference, rather than throwing an error.

Did the script reader give you any parsing errors?
    Chris
  • Options
    Michelle TMichelle T Posts: 566 Gold 1
    You can get an error like this if you have a partial script folder which has objects that rely on a table (e.g. indexes, triggers, foreign keys) that don't have a corresponding table. SQL Compare only handles script folders with complete objects - incomplete objects will cause problems.
    Software Developer
    Redgate Software