SQL Server Managment Studio freezes on startup only.

rick_holcrick_holc Posts: 4
edited August 18, 2009 8:27AM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
I looked for this problem in the forum but cant find anyone complaining about the same issue. My problem (and others here at my company) have a problem where most of the time when you start SSMS it shows the graphic and sits there. You can wait for 10 minutes it will not proceed. You have to go into task manager and kill the process. You can then start SSMS without a problem. The computers configured almost identically that do not have the SQL Prompt Package installed do not have this problem and have never experienced a single startup freeze. On the computers with the freeze problem, once you restart SSMS there are no issues, no lockups, no errors. I just setup a new laptop (downloaded the most recent install of SQL Toolbelt) and the problem occured the first time I fired up SSMS after installing SQL Toolbelt. Any ideas?

SQL Prompt: 3.9.0.43
SSMS: 9.00.4035.00

Thanks,

Rick

Comments

• Anu DAnu D Posts: 876 Silver 3
    Thanks for the post.

Do you use VPN to connect to the remote databases?
    Anuradha Deshpande
    Product Support
    Redgate Software Ltd.
    E-mail: support@red-gate.com
  • We have that capability if working from home but do not use it on a normal day to day basis.
    I have dropped you a private message.

Kindly check the steps and let me know if that resolves the issue!
    Anuradha Deshpande
    Product Support
    Redgate Software Ltd.
  • We have the same issue. Did Anu's suggestion work for you and, if so, can you please let me know what it was?

Thanks,
    Jason
    Hello Jason

Could you kindly let us know the detailed version of SQL Prompt?
    You can know the detailed version of SQL Prompt by navigating to SQL Prompt --> About SQL Prompt and version number is displayed on bottom right (just above Close button.)

Also let us know whether you use VPN to connect to the remote databases?
    Anuradha Deshpande
    Product Support
    Redgate Software Ltd.
  • Sorry for the late followup. Testing shows that the new version does solve this problem. I have been running it now for a couple of weeks and it looks good. I have asked all others in my department to update also and give me their feedback.
    Thanks for the help!
  • Sorry, it's been a mess at work lately and I must have forgotten to be notified of any replies. We have 3.9.0.43 for SQL Prompt and 9.00.4035.00 for SSMS.

Thanks, Jason
    Hello Jason,

I have dropped you a private message.

Kindly let me know whether your issue is fixed or not.
    Anuradha Deshpande
    Product Support
    Redgate Software Ltd.