Log shipping : why can't I specify multiple files?

I get the best luck (well, best finish time) in backing up a specific database to 5 files. Why doesn't the log shipping wizard allow me to create multiple files for the initial seed backup? This would make setting this up over the network much more efficient and reliable (I often get a file copy failure on a 400GB copy but not on 5 separate 90GB file copies). I understand that's a network problem on my side, but until I convince IT that it really is a network problem, here we are.

I am using log shipping to provide a standby, read-only DB for reporting. Reporting queries are run on a schedule and I adjust the log shipping schedule to not interfere. Unfortunately for some reason my log shipping stops working after about 7 days (the target database gets stuck in permanent "RESTORING" state). So I end up having to re-initialize the log shipping (because it is faster than going back to last week's seed and applying ~700 log files). But sometimes the backup fails as described above, and I have to start over. It would be great if we could have this control in the wizard just like we do in the normal UI and command-line, so I don't have to bypass the wizard.

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post into the forum.

Can you please confirm the excat version of SQL Backup you are using?

On the next occasion that the restore job hangs or goes unresponsive, please type in a new query window in SSMS or Query Analyzer:
    execute master..sqbutility 9997

The above makes use of the SQL Backup SQBUtility Extended Stored Procedure. This function will provide a debugging trace of the current execution process in the SQL Backup engine.

Executing sqbutility 9997 will return a NULL value and generate a file in the named directory for the corresponding SQL Backup Agent (eg by default, C:\Program files\Red Gate\SQL Backup\%instance%, called "SQBCoreService_bugreport.txt"

Please send the resulting debug file to support@red-gate.com and include the following call reference number in the subject field on the e-mail, F0024980.

Many Thanks
    Eddie[/code]
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com