Options

sqlbackupc.exe crashes

DanAvniDanAvni Posts: 72 Bronze 2
edited June 15, 2005 10:36AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
platform: windows 2003 server SP1 & all patches available
SQL 2000 standard SP3

i have a SQL agent job for backing up some DB's to another machine on the network the job is based on your sample on how to backup multiple db's
set @backupstring = '-SQL "BACKUP DATABASE TO DISK = ''' + @filename1 + ''' WITH NAME = ''Database (' + @databasename + ') Full'', ERASEFILES_ATSTART = 1, COMPRESSION = 3, ERASEFILES = 14" -E'

backups are running successfully every few hours.

when i login to the sql machine using terminal services, i get a message that sqlbackupc.exe has crashed.....please tell microsoft about it... with an option to send crash info to MS. the event log contains these three errors:

Reporting queued error: faulting application sqlbackupc.exe, version 3.2.0.1, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 5.2.3790.1830, fault address 0x00015dea.
Reporting queued error: faulting application sqlbackupc.exe, version 3.2.0.1, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 5.2.3790.1830, fault address 0x00015dea.
Fault bucket 198528862.
Dan Avni

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Dan,

Are any logfiles present in %allusersprofile%\application data\red gate\sql backup\log? If not, it may just be a matter of the user running the backup not having read/write access to the folder. This happens frequently as the result of running an OS service pack.

Keep in mind that the user running sqlbackupc.exe is the logged in user from the console, the user configured to run the task in the case of scheduled tasks, and the SQL Server account when running the stored procedure.
  • Options
    DanAvniDanAvni Posts: 72 Bronze 2
    Yes there are log files in the folder you mentioned.
    Dan Avni
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Dan,

Can you go through your application logs and figure out when this kernel fault happened by looking for any events logged by SQL Backup, then look at the log files in the %allusersprofile% folder from about the same time and see if you can find the corresponding error as it's logged by SQL Backup?