Deactivation error

mrclodmrclod Posts: 60
edited August 3, 2009 12:12PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
HELP!

We are deactivating a server today for repurposing and they need the RedGate license off NOW.

Everytime I try to run the deactivation tool license, it tells me there was an error, but no freaking information to tell me what is up.

Need this done now before the machine is wiped for an emergency install.

Exact message of popup window is:

Red Gate Licensing Deactivate Tool has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Comments

• Apparently the licensing activation/deactivation tools don't like running from a network share.

You might want to fix that.
  • I am sorry you had a problem with the deactivation tool but, because of the way our client licensing works, the deactivation tool must be run locally on the machine where the licence key was activated. Were you able to deactivate successfully by running it on the local machine?
  • As per my previous post, it just doesn't like running from the network.

If there is some glitch in the software that prevents this, at least update the error message to not be so generic that it provides not clue to the user as to what to attempt to resolve.
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    The restriction about running code over a network share is imposed by Microsoft .net. You can get the deactivation tool to run on the network share by adjusting your zone security to allow full trust on the Internet zone, but then every joe hacker could take potshots at your computer, so I wouldn't recommend it!

Since network zone security as implemented in Windows actually prevents managed code from even running on your local machine, I don't even think it's possible to display an error message because it would require some of our code to run, which is being blocked by the machine policy.