Options

SQL Backup 6 restore error

bradscheepersbradscheepers Posts: 10
edited July 23, 2009 11:06AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I am trying to restore a database from a backup taken on a SQL2005 instance running 32bit Windows 2003 onto a SQL2005 instance running 64bit Windows 2003 using SQL Backup Pro 6, trial version.

It's is big database (~170GB) and the backup file taken on compression 2 is ~90GB.

I've tried various things including trying to restore it from a native converted backup, backups taken on various compressions etc, but with no luck. I can restore it onto another box which is running SQL2008 on 64bit Windows 2008.

Here is the output from the SQLBackup log:

SQL Backup log file 6.0.0.412

-SQL "RESTORE DATABASE RiskModels FROM DISK = 'f:\lonas18_RiskModels_FULL.sqb' WITH REPLACE,
MOVE 'RiskModels' TO 'F:\MSSQL\Data\RiskModels.mdf',
MOVE 'RiskModels_Log' TO 'F:\MSSQL\Data\RiskModels_log.ldf', PASSWORD = 'XXXXXXXXXX' "

ERRORS AND WARNINGS

16/07/2009 08:42:34: Restoring RiskModels (database) from:
16/07/2009 08:42:34: f:\lonas18_RiskModels_FULL.sqb

16/07/2009 08:42:34: RESTORE DATABASE [RiskModels] FROM VIRTUAL_DEVICE = 'SQLBACKUP_206A1E3A-0A48-4CD1-BF50-692AFF9F79BB' WITH BUFFERCOUNT = 6, BLOCKSIZE = 65536, MAXTRANSFERSIZE = 1048576 , RECOVERY, MOVE 'RiskModels' TO 'F:\MSSQL\Data\RiskModels.mdf', MOVE 'RiskModels_Log' TO 'F:\MSSQL\Data\RiskModels_log.ldf', REPLACE

16/07/2009 09:25:20: SQL Server error

16/07/2009 09:25:20: SQL error 3013: SQL error 3013: RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally.
16/07/2009 09:25:20: SQL error 3271: SQL error 3271: A nonrecoverable I/O error occurred on file "???:" 1117(error not found).

Have you ever seen anything like this before? Any ideas?
The server has 230GB of free space and 8GB of RAM and the other databases running on this box are behaving just fine.

Thanks alot.

Comments

• Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi Brad

Sorry that this error is occurring.

I see that you are attempting to restore from a local disk ('f:\lonas18_RiskModels_FULL.sqb' ). Was the backup file copied from a another location to the local drive outside of SQL Backup, using Windows Explorer for example?

If the answer is yes, I have known for this process to corrupt the copied backup file. You can check for this condition using a hash generator, if the check sum generated is different between the original file and the copied file, I suspect that the copied file has corrupted You can download a simple hash generator using this LINK.

Alternatively, are you able to copy the backup file to another local disk and attempt the restore from that location?

This part of the error message indicates that the error maybe a system error: SQL error 3271: SQL error 3271: A nonrecoverable I/O error occurred on file "???:" 1117(error not found). Are there any entries in the event viewer log files at the same or similar time to the failed restore attempt?
    Do you get similar error messages using native Microsoft SQL Server Backup to perfrom both the backup and restore task?

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    Hi Eddie

Thanks for the response.

Once the restore failed, I took another backup and copied that across again, but it also failed. So it may have been a corrupt copy, but it's a coincidence that the Windows copy would corrupt the file twice.

I also tried to restore a converted native version of the file, but did not take a native backup and try that.

Because of the size of the database, it became a bit tedious to try too many options, so we resorted to detaching, copying and re-attaching the database and that worked fine. So the copied version of the backup has subsequently been deleted so no comparison can be done.

I'll have to get hold of you if I get this problem again in the future.

Regards
    Brad.
  • Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your reply.

Sorry that SQL Backup did not help you move this database to a new server.

Please do contact us if you encounter a problem in the future:
    E-mail - support@red-gate.com
    Telephone:
    US and Canada - Toll free 1 866 997 0378
    UK - 0870 160 0037
    Rest of the World +44 870 160 0037

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com