Run setup on server - Successful
--------------------------------

This operation completed successfully.

Start SQL Backup Agent service - Successful
-------------------------------------------

Check installed versions - Failed
---------------------------------

The SQL Backup extended stored procedure DLL version is 5.4.0.55, and 6.0.0.412 was expected.

Check SQLBackup extended stored procedures - Successful
-------------------------------------------------------

Delete setup file from server - Successful
------------------------------------------

Updating SQL Server information - Successful
--------------------------------------------

Can anyone offer any advice please?

Edit:

Change that, I clicked the 'upgrade' icon in application and went through upgrade process for 3rd time and the install succeeded'. However, there seems to be no activity history ... anyone else had similar issues?

Edit #2:
OK, restarted SQL Backup on client twice and now everything seems to be as expected: All servers are showing full activity history and jobs are running as normal. No issue outstanding, just a shared experience that may prove useful ...

Jonathan

Senior DBA
Careers South West Ltd

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Jonathan,

We have had several reports of the extended stored procedure not being freed by SQL Server, which is expected on a small number of installations. This most likely will happen on SQL Server 2000. However, repeated attempts to run the upgrade wizard do seem to solve the problem. We don't have a firm explanation for why it would work on the second or third attempt.
  • Hi Jonathan,

We have had several reports of the extended stored procedure not being freed by SQL Server, which is expected on a small number of installations. This most likely will happen on SQL Server 2000. However, repeated attempts to run the upgrade wizard do seem to solve the problem. We don't have a firm explanation for why it would work on the second or third attempt.

Brian -

I had the same issue on 3 SQL 2005 servers. Finally gave up and did the install manually using the executable. This worked.

Tim
  • My experience was that upgrading from 5.4 to 6.1 worked without any problems for multiple SQL Server 2000 and 2005 instances. The only problem I had was upgrading the repository server (SQL Server 2005). The failure pattern was identical to fatherjack's original post (failing on: "The SQL Backup extended stored procedure DLL version is 5.4.0.55, and 6.0.0.412 was expected.")

After 5 or 6 unsuccessful attempts from the client, I switched to manual upgrade on the repository server after first stopping the SQL Backup service. Even that failed, but gave a somewhat different error msg: "The extended stored procedure file (xp_sqlbackup.dll) that exists is an earlier version. Check that you have rights to overwrite the existing file,and run the installation again."

It was no surprise to find that the DLL was locked (C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Binn\xp_sqlbackup.dll).

To successfully upgrade the repository server, I had to unlock the DLL (using unlocker), run SQBServerSetup again, delete and re-register the two extended stored procs:
    sp_addextendedproc 'sqlbackup','xp_sqlbackup.dll'
    sp_addextendedproc 'sqbutility','xp_sqlbackup.dll'
    and restart the SQL Server instance.

By the way, the repository runs in a SS 2005 default instance on the same server with a SS 2000 named instance. I did not have any problems upgrading the SS 2000 named instance prior to the above adventures with the repository instance.
  • Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    The problem is due to SQL Server not releasing the xp_sqlbackup.dll file for upgrade.

As part of the upgrade process we issue
    DBCC xp_sqlbackup(FREE)

to get SQL Server to release our dll file for upgrade.

However SQL Server does not release the file and we have never been able to accurately identify the cause.

In some cases, retrying the upgrade process resolves the problem.

Another way of loading the new or upgrade dll file is to perform the following:

DBCC xp_sqlbackup(FREE)

EXEC sp_dropextendedproc sqlbackup
    EXEC sp_dropextendedproc sqbstatus
    EXEC sp_dropextendedproc sqbutility
    EXEC sp_dropextendedproc sqbmemory
    EXEC sp_dropextendedproc sqbdata
    EXEC sp_dropextendedproc sqbdir
    EXEC sp_dropextendedproc sqbtest
    EXEC sp_dropextendedproc sqbtestcancel
    EXEC sp_dropextendedproc sqbteststatus

Stop the SQL Server Service.

Find all previous versions of xp_sqlbackup on your system and remove them including the installation folder.

Find the new version of xp_sqlbackup.dll ( a copy can be found in the SQL Backup GUI installation folder) and copy this to the SQL Server instance BINN folder.

Start the SQL Server Service.

sp_addextendedproc sqlbackup, “xp_sqlbackup.dll”
    sp_addextendedproc sqbstatus, “xp_sqlbackup.dll”
    sp_addextendedproc sqbutility, “xp_sqlbackup.dll”
    sp_addextendedproc sqbmemory, “xp_sqlbackup.dll”
    sp_addextendedproc sqbdata, “xp_sqlbackup.dll”
    sp_addextendedproc sqbdir, “xp_sqlbackup.dll”
    sp_addextendedproc sqbtest, “xp_sqlbackup.dll”
    sp_addextendedproc sqbtestcancel, “xp_sqlbackup.dll”
    sp_addextendedproc sqbteststatus, “xp_sqlbackup.dll”

Many Thanks
    Eddie