Transaction Restore hanging

cjwellecjwelle Posts: 2
edited July 20, 2009 9:39PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hello,

I used Redgate 5 to do Log Shipping of a database every 5 minutes between two SQL 2005 servers.

The Backup works flawlessly.

The restore job on the second server will occasionally "hang". The job stays executing and doesn't stop at all until manually requested to stop.

I then have to copy the script to restore the logs and paste it in a query. This get the Secondary Database up to date and then the restore job continues until it hangs again.

This database is not being used currently until we get this restore issue fixed. So there shouldn't be anything else that would lock the database.

Is there a way to find out why this job is hanging and what i can do about it?

Also is there a script that can notify me when the job does hang or doesn't restore after a certain amount of time?

Thank you,
Chris

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you your post into the forum and sorry that you have encountered this problem.

I have created a support ticket for you, the call reference is F0014599.

I will contact you via e-mail to investigate this problem.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Hi Eddie,

I am seeing this behavior as well. Any update on this?

Thanks!

Daniel
    Austin, TX
  • I am experiencing this problem on a regular basis. It may be related to an attempt to restore from a transaction log file that is in the process of being copied as it is very large, however I am not sure about this. If this was the case I would be happy if the restore failed, however remaining in an unfinished state until someone intervenes is definitely not helpful. I understood that there was a fix in version 5.4 for this but an upgrade on both participating servers has not helped.

We are using SQL 2005 sp 2 and SQL Backup 5.4.