Choosing the Schemas to compare on the db selection screen

dvdchasdvdchas Posts: 10
edited June 19, 2009 5:11AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
We have some fairly large databases here that are seperated by Schema. E.g.
* hundreds of objects in Schema:dbo
* thousands under schema:CADIS
* thousands under schema:CADIS_SYS
* thousands under schema:CADIS_PROC
* hundreds of objects in Schema:Repository

Is it possible to ask Sql Compare to only compare certain schemas, e.g. in this case I want to exclude the comparison of the CADIS_* schemas?

I can try and filter them post compare (is there an easy way), however I would prefer to select this on the initial database selection. This is becuase it takes a *very* long time to compare all the objects in the CADIS_* schemas that I don't care about.

Thanks (Trying to persuade my new company to purchase some SQL Compare Pro licences).

Rob

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post into the forum.

Unfortunately you cannot filter database objects prior to the comparison being performed.

SQL Compare needs to compare very object and display the results of the comparison. Once the results have been displayed, you can then filter to remove objects that you are not interested in.

I will update a feature request, previously submitted by another customer who requested the ability to filter out objects before running a comparison. The reference for this feature request is SC-4080.

At this time the feature request is set to future, which means that the request will be considered for a future version of SQL Compare. I am sorry to inform, I do not know when or in what future version of SQL Compare the requested feature will appear.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • The reference for this feature request is SC-4080

Thanks very much for this, the last version of SQL Compare that I spent a lot of time with was v5. I knew things had moved on quite a lot for version 8, so was hoping this might have found its way in already. With the current 8 version. Are you able to explicity hide/untick on a schema by schema basis.

I understand I will have to wait for the full compare, but I need to be sure that I can filter our CADIS_SYS, CADIS_PROC, leaving in dbo, and Repository from any comparision or database script actions that I take when applying changes.

P.S. Can I look up that feature requests or others via an online website? Or is it just for use on the forums?

Thanks Again
  • Sorry, you can't look up feature requests, although if you send us the request ID we'll look it up for you.

The reason we can't filter before the comparison is because we need to build up a dependency tree to ensure that the resulting synch script is reliable. Without reading in the entire schema we wouldn't be able to guarantee this.

In v8 you can indeed set up fairly sophisticated filters using various rules. This is explained in detail at:

http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/C ... 547525.htm

Please give this a go and let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software