Backup Fails - out of resources

ronron Posts: 14
edited June 16, 2005 12:48PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I am having problems with my backups from servers randomly failing with an out of resources message. Below is one example.

6/2/2005 3:24:37 PM: SQL Backup 3.2.0, (c) Red Gate Software Ltd 2004 - 2005
6/2/2005 3:24:37 PM:
6/2/2005 3:24:37 PM: Backing up xxxxxxxxxx (full database) to \\yyyyyyyyyyy\sqlbackup\xxxxxxxxx\zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz_b.sqb ...
6/2/2005 3:24:37 PM: BACKUP DATABASE [zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz] TO DISK = '\\yyyyyyyyyyyyy\sqlbackup\xxxxxxxxxxxxx\zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz_b.sqb' WITH NAME = '', DESCRIPTION = '', INIT, PASSWORD = 'XXXXXXXXXX', LOGTO = '\\yyyyyyyyyyyyyy\sqlbackup\xxxxxxxxxxxxx\zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz_b.sqb.log.txt', COMPRESSION = 2
6/2/2005 3:27:41 PM: Thread 0 error:
Error 620: Error writing to backup file(s).
Process terminated unexpectedly. Error code: -2139684860
Thread 0 warning:
Warning 610: Error writing to backup file: \\yyyyyyyyyyyyy\sqlbackup\xxxxxxxxxxxxxx\zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz_b.sqb
Warning: System error code: (Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service)

Msg 3202, Level 16, State 1, Server xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Line 1
Write on 'SQLBACKUP_226549021' failed, status = 112. See the SQL Server error log for more details.
Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Server xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Line 1
BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

In the sql log I have the following....

BackupVirtualDeviceFile::RequestDurableMedia: Flush failure on backup device 'SQLBACKUP_226549021'. Operating system error 995(The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request.).

BACKUP failed to complete the command BACKUP DATABASE [zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz] TO VIRTUAL_DEVICE = 'SQLBACKUP_226549021' WITH BLOCKSIZE = 65536, MAXTRANSFERSIZE = 1048576, NAME = '', DESCRIPTION = '', FORMAT

Internal I/O request 0x09FC4EF0: Op: Write, pBuffer: 0x0B050000, Size: 1048576, Position: 4835901440, UMS: Internal: 0x0, InternalHigh: 0x100000, Offset: 0x20450000, OffsetHigh: 0x1, m_buf: 0x0B050000, m_len: 1048576, m_actualBytes: 1048576, m_errcode: 112, BackupFile: SQLBACKUP_226549021

(I changed the names to protect the inocent)

I have gotten this error on multiple servers.

All sql servers are service pack 3a.

All sql servers are win 2003.

destination is another server (win 2000 HP NAS device) across the network. gigbit network connections

We are new to red-gate backup we were using an older version of sqllitespeed and did not get these errors using the same source and destination.

The error is random. It pops up after various amounts of the db have been backed up. right away, 700 meg, 1 gig ...

There is plenty of drive space on the destination.

How do I prevent these errors?

Comments

• Hi Ron

We have just had another instance of this happening. It appears to be a sql server memory problem, with regardes to the virtual backup device.

I am currently running a test to try and force the same error here so that we can investigate it further.

After an initial investigation the only way to retrieve the recources is to restart the sql server (proably best to reboot the server).

Can you email any other information you have to support@red-gate.com so that we can resolve this asap.

Thanks
    Dan
    Daniel Handley
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Just as a followup.

I am unable to reproduce this on the other 2 servers I have setup. All 3 servers are backing up to the same location using basically the same backup commands.

I tried a backup to the local disk instead of to a network destination on the server giving me problems and had better luck. The backup appeared to complete.
  • I have found a few issues with using the backup to a network location. One of the was resolved by adding a reverse name lookup, and another by changing the registry.

My recommendation is always to backup locally and the use the copyto option. This will increase the speed of the backup, and writing over the network. I believe that this option will be as fast if not faster than writing directly over the network. It will also give you the ability to have a local backup file when the network fails !!!

Let me know how you get on with an email to support@red-gate.com

Regards
    Dan
    Daniel Handley
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • We have specific naming conventions for backups and the copyto option will not overwrite existing files so it is going to be a pain to implement.

I continue to get this error message on the server while SQLlitespeed continues to backup this server just fine.

Warning: System error code: (Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service)

Msg 3202, Level 16, State 1, Server xxxxxxxx, Line 1
    Write on 'SQLBACKUP_177406493' failed, status = 112. See the SQL Server error log for more details.
    Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Server xxxxxxxx, Line 1
    BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

How do I resolve this error message? I have about 6 other servers backing up to the same network location using red-gate backup and they work just fine.
  • I have solved this.

The server has 4 gig of memory and was using the 3gb switch. I removed the 3gb switch and rebooted the server.

Backups now run normally.
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Thx for the update.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8