Options

Is redgate 5.3 cluster aware?

deepak03deepak03 Posts: 7
edited June 9, 2009 1:47PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi,

We are using Redgate compressed backup tool (SQLToolbelt.exe) 5.3 for our SQL servers. Just have few quick questions if anyone can answer them please:

1. Is Redgate 5.3 is cluster aware, if I install it on cluster virtual server- would it get installed on both of my clustered nodes (active/passive)?

2. Should it be installed on the local disks of nodes - in case of individual installation on clustered nodes or on the shared media of cluster?

What should be the ideal way.

I would appreciate a quick response.

Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post into the forum.

SQL Backup 5 is cluster aware.

SQL Backup has two main components:
    SQL Backup GUI
    SQL Backup Server Components

When you first install SQL Backup from the SQL Toolbelt installer, this action only installs the SQL Backup GUI. You need to install the SQL Backup Server Components as a separate action.

The installer for the SQL Backup Server Components is the cluster aware.

To install SQL Backup on your cluster, I recommend you follow the steps below:

1. On a machine with the SQL Backup GUI installed, locate a file called SQBServerSetup.exe. By default the file will be located in the %systemroot%\program files\Red Gate\SQL Backup directory. If not already on the active node of the cluster, copy this file to the active node of the cluster and execute the file. This action will start the SQL Backup Server Components Installer.

2. Follow the on screen instructions, the installer will detect that you are installing to a cluster. Ensure that you select the option to install to all nodes in the cluster.

The following contains further advice on installing SQL Backup on a cluster and includes screen shots on what you will see:

http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/C ... alling.htm

Also from your post, I see that you are attempting to install SQL Backup 5.3. The lastest version of SQL Backup is Version 5.4 which can be downloaded using this LINK

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com