Options

Error when restoring DB

dwjongbloeddwjongbloed Posts: 30
edited June 9, 2009 12:18PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I'm working on documentation to allow a non-SQL user to be able to do a restore in my absence. I've had them create the connection with SQL Server authentication w/ user id of SA. However when we go to browse for the files it gives us a "Browsing Disabled" error box. We are going to be going back to a network share drive so is this causing us an issue?

Comments

• Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post into the forum.

The problem you have encountered is a known issue.

If you are using SQL Server authentication on a SQL Server, for security reasons browsing to folders or files on the SQL Server is disabled by default. This is to prevent information about the file system structure being revealed to SQL Authenticated users who do not have permissions to browse the file system on the SQL Server.

You can override this restriction. However, you should do this only after careful consideration.

To enable file browsing by SQL Server users, in the registry folder:

32-bit machines: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Red Gate\SQL Backup\BackupSettingsGlobal\<instance name>

64-bit machines: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Red Gate\SQL Backup\BackupSettingsGlobal\<instance name>

create the registry key AllowSQLBrowsing as type DWORD, and set the value to 1.

You must have administrator privileges to do this.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com