Cluster Licensing

mrclodmrclod Posts: 60
edited June 8, 2009 11:57AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
We are moving to a cluster environment.

For the time being, we have clustered sql server to an existing install. On the existing install we have Backup Pro, but have not install on the cluster yet (since we are not using the clustered instance of the database).

We are looking to pre-install on the cluster prior to a large deployment coming up in a few weeks, but still need to keep the local Backup Pro installed since that is the database that is being used.

My question relates to licensing and removal when we do move away from the locally installed database and RedGate.

Will the local license also need to be removed, or will removal of the local Backup Pro (leaving license registered) and registering from the cluster work?

Or will registering the cluster also register a 2nd license to that original server?

Looking for order of operations and such if they are necessary.

Also looking to do this in the most clean manner.

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post into the forum.

SQL Backup is licensed per physical server and / or per Virtual machine.

So for the scenario you have described, you will need a second license of SQL Backup Professional for the second node.

SQL Backup has two main components:

SQL Backup GUI for managing your SQL backup Jobs. This component is not licensed and can be installed on as many machines you wish, including Windows XP or Windows Vista.

SQL Backup Server Components. This is the licensed component of SQL Backup and contains the SQL Backup extended stored procedures and the SQL Backup Agent Service.

So if you have a machine that has two or more instances of SQL Server installed and these SQL Instances are not installed upon a Virtual machine. You will only require a one server license of SQL Backup.

If you have multiple SQL Instances spread across Virtual Servers on the same machine. You will require a SQL Backup license for each virtual machine.

To return to your scenario, where you already have a SQL Instance installed on a single machine and you are planning create a cluster using this machine.

You already most likely have the SQL Backup GUI already installed, so once you have the Windows Cluster in place and created a clustered instance of SQL. Locate a file called SQBServerSetup.exe, you will find this file the SQL Backup GUI installation which by default is in this directory:

C:\Program Files\Red Gate\SQL Backup

If the SQL Backup GUI is located on another machine, copy the SQBServerSetup file to the active node of the cluster and run the executable. Otherwise run the executable.

Follow the on screen instructions, selecting the clustered SQL Instance. The installer is cluster aware and will ask the question "do you wish to install all cluster nodes?". If you choose yes, the SQL Backup Server Components installer will install to all nodes in the cluster simultaneously.

Further advice on installing SQL Backup on a cluster can be found via knowledge base articles on a our web site. Use the following link and see the top two topics listed under the 'Most Popular Topics' heading:

http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/P ... L%20Backup

Or send an e-mail to support@red-gate.com and quote the following call reference number F0022957, if you need further assistance or clarification.

I hope the above helps.
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Yea, I've been through all the install scenarios. So don't care about that.

Question only pertains to the license activation process. See original post.

Do I need to "remove" the license on the single active machine before appling licensing to the cluster.

Was not sure if as a cluster that would take 2 licenses (1 regular, 1 passive license) in addition to the original single installed license on the original node.

Not removing the original node, it is already clustered, but RedGate is still not clustered yet.

I guess to be safe I can just remove it prior to a RedGate cluster install and activation. Just wanted to know if I needed to actually do that step.
  • Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your reply.

You need a SQL Backup License for each node.

As SQL Backup is already installed and activated on one node. All you need to do is install the SQL Backup Server Components to the second node and manually create the SQL Backup Cluster Resource, as per this knowledge base article:

http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/C ... nstall.htm

Once you have SQL Backup installed on the passive node, use the ProductActivation.exe utility to activate the passive node. You will find the ProductActivation.exe on the machine where the SQL Backup GUI installed in the following directory:

%SystemRoot%\Program Files\Red Gate\SQL Backup

Hope the above answers your question.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com