Opening stored proc in new window

pettrerpettrer Posts: 3
edited June 2, 2009 9:58AM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
Hi,

We use LOTS of stored procedures, hence this question.

When I create a new query and starts typing the name of a stored procedure, the popup window with candidates appears alright. If I choose one of them, I get its name and its input variables in the window, which is very neat.

What I'd really want to be able to do is to press Shift or so and, doing that, open the stored procedure itself. As far as I can understand, I'm not able to open the stored procedure from the popup window displaying it (but of course, I might be wrong here!).

In addition, I think I should be able to copy the content of this preview window, esecially if I can't truly open the stored procedure in a new window.

Sorry if this functionality is available, but I can't find any info on it in the cfm manual.

All the best,

Pettrer

Comments

• Anu DAnu D Posts: 876 Silver 3
    Thanks for your post.

If I am getting you right, you want SQL Prompt to open the stored procedure to ALTER.

If this is the case you can do it, please check following points to get it done:
    1. Check the following settings by navigating SQL Prompt --> Options --> Inserted Candidates --> SQL --> Check option 'Insert object definition for ALTER statements' press 'OK' after that

2. Open a new query window and type Alter Procedure and SQL Prompt will suggest you the list of Stored procedures in database selected and than use the completion key and the stored procedure's code will open in that page for alteration.

Kindly let us know if this is what you was expecting and if not please explain us with example.

Note: Alter Procedure need to be the first line in the query window.
    Anuradha Deshpande
    Product Support
    Redgate Software Ltd.
    E-mail: support@red-gate.com
  • Thanks,

Yes, that was precisely what I was looking for. I still think though that there could be an icon or the like in the popup window to accomplish this (also when hovering over a stored procedure and getting the popup window when going through a stored proc). In addition, I'd still want to be able to copy text from the popup window.

Thanks for the speedy reply!

Pettrer
  • Anu DAnu D Posts: 876 Silver 3
    Thanks you for the update!

We have logged this as a feature request and will update the forum as soon as it is incorporated.

Kindly let us know if you have any questions regarding SQL Prompt, I'll like to answer.
    Anuradha Deshpande
    Product Support
    Redgate Software Ltd.
    E-mail: support@red-gate.com