Log Shipping Problem

js_0505js_0505 Posts: 8
edited June 2, 2009 9:15AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
When I try to set up log shipping for a 10+gig db it fails when the logshipping backup occures. I go through all of the steps as smaller db's do not have issues at all. Once the backup is created it seems to skip the first log ship file. It takes about 4 minutes to back up and I set the timing to log ship every 5 minutes. Could the timing be the issue or the size of the db?

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post into the forum.

Unfortunately I need further information before I can accurately provide a solution to your problem.

The log shipping setup is simply the following steps:

1. Full Seed Backup of the source or primary server / database.
    2. The Full Seed Backup is copied to a network share.
    3. Full Restore of the Seed Backup created in step 1 from the network share to the target or secondary server / database.
    4. Log Backup job created on the source server.
    5. Log Restore job created on the target server.

The Log backups are taken on the source server/database and copied to the network share. The Restore log job restores the log files from the network share to the target database.

At what point in the above steps is the log shipping setup failing?

Also what error is generated?

What version of SQL Backup are you using?

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • The error is LSN*** is newer please use log file that contains LSN***. The problem is the first LSN generated after the backup is not insync with the backup. i am using SQLBackup 5.4
  • I have also noticed that the first transaction log backup occures only after the full backup restores and that restore job takes 2 hours and there are transactions taking place during the restore of the Backup(full) and the first run of the Transaction Log Backup.
  • Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your reply.

I suspect that you were performing transaction log backups of the source database prior to implementating log shipping.

If my suspicions are correct, can you please restore to the target database, the last transaction log backup file created before the Log Shipping Seed Backup was taken.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com