Windows Server 2008 support for SQL Backup

Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
edited August 27, 2009 12:57PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
SQL Backup now support Windows Server 2008.

A small number of customers reported the following issue after installing SQL Backup 5.3.0.178 on servers using the new Windows OS - Windows Server 2008.

The following issue occurs:

SQL Backup installs with no errors. The problem occurs when the user attempts a backup or restore. An error is generated informing the user that the wrong MDAC version is installed. The full error message is as follows:

Wrong MDAC version,. Download latest MDAC version
Server: <Server_Name>.
Windows authentication
Failed to connect to SQL Server instance: <SQL Instance Name>
SQL Backup exit code:586

The good news is that we now have a fix for the problem, which can be downloaded HERE.

Many Thanks
Eddie

Eddie Davis
Product Support Engineer
Red Gate Software Ltd
Eddie Davis
Senior Product Support Engineer
Redgate Software Ltd
Email: support@red-gate.com

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    I have also performed further minor testing with the new SQL Server 2008 RC0 with Windows Server 2008.

All appears to be OK with the fix I provided in my first post above.

Many Thanks
    Eddie

Eddie Davis
    Product Support Engineer
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • How about the Clustering for Windows 2008? Is it supported as well? I get the question upon installation to supply the Cluster Administrator and Password; however in 2008, there is no Cluster Administrator.

What would be the best answer for this question if it is supported?
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    The cluster administrator user was used to connect to the Windows Clustering service, find out which cluster group the SQL Server instance was running in, and create a new cluster resource in that group for the SQL Backup Agent service.

During an upgrade, the cluster administrator user was used to connect to the Windows Clustering service, disable the SQL Backup Agent service, and enable it again after the upgrade was completed.

Thus, you should be able to use any user account that has adequate rights to perform the above tasks.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • I'm having this exact issue on Windows Server 2008, but the link to the patch doesn't work. Is a patch still available for this issue?
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Sorry about that, the link to download that patch was malformed. I have corrected it. Please try downloading the patch again. Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Hi,

I have (since 01/01/09) had several SQL Backup jobs fail with
    "SQL Backup failed with exit code: 586 SQL error code: 0 [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 50000)"
    but I am running 64bit SQL 2005 SP2 on server 2003 R2.

Will the same fix be relevant or is this another issue altogether?

cheers

Jonathan

Senior DBA
    Careers South West Ltd
  • Hi there,

We are using Red Gate Backup 5.2.0.2824 on a SQL 2008 + Windows 2008 machine and I am getting the error above.

The download link is not working, can i get the patch somewhere and will it install correctly on our version?

Thanks!
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello,

Sorry, but the information in this topic is rather out-of-date. SQL 2008 and Windows Server 2008 support is now available in the production version of SQL Backup 5.4. All that you need to do is go to Check fro Updates on the console's help menu and get the free upgrade.
  • Hi,

I am having the same issue, running 5.3.0.178

And when trying to upgrade via Help I get the infamous "No updates available".
    The link in the first post is timing out.

What to do?
  • Hi,

I am having the same issue, running 5.3.0.178

And when trying to upgrade via Help I get the infamous "No updates available".
    The link in the first post is timing out.

What to do?
    Hello,

Since the fix is now incorporated in the 5.4 version of SQL Backup, the patch has probably been removed. If Check for Updates doesn't work, you can still get the full update by downloading the demo version from the website. The demo and the full version are exactly the same: when you enter your serial number, the demo becomes the full version. Please see:
    http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql_backup/index_2.htm
  • Thanks.

I was hoping I could upgrade the existing version.
    Will I have to uninstall the existing 5.3 version before installing the new 5.4 version?

Regards,
    The installation of SQL Backup from our website will upgrade the 5.3 components.
  • I have a new Win2008 x64 ENT server with SQL 2008 ENT, installed SQL Backup 5 (5.4.0.55) and when I tried a restore I received the error:

Wrong MDAC version,. Download latest MDAC version
    Server: <Server_Name>.
    Windows authentication
    Failed to connect to SQL Server instance: <SQL Instance Name>
    SQL Backup exit code:586

I suggested upgrading to the current version of SQL Backup but we need to keep the versions matched across all of our servers so that's not going to happen right away.
    Any suggestions on where to go from here?