unable to get list of column dependencies

cerobinsoncerobinson Posts: 2
edited August 2, 2010 3:15PM in SQL Dependency Tracker
I did a search in SQL Dependency Tracker for a column name and it only returned objects with the column name in them. I would very much like for SQL Dependency Tracker to list dependencies at the column level.

I saw a post from 2007 (http://www.red-gate.com/messageboard/vi ... php?t=5829) where a moderator said this had been noted as a request. Is that request still active, and if so can you please add another voice of support for it?

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Charles,

I've added you to the list of requesters for SQL Dependency Tracker to support information about columns. The feature request that Eddie had originally opened is still waiting for review.
  • jasolutionjasolution Posts: 14 Bronze 2
    This would indeed be most helpful. In fact, this is the only function I'd hoped to achieve with Dependency Tracker. :)
  • Same here. We hadnt really looked at this tool, but recently had need to find everywhere in the schema that referenced a particular column. We fired up SQL Dependency Tracker but found it can only show us at a table level with no option to find dependencies on a column.

This is the sole function we turned to Dependency Tracker for, so it would definitely be a great addition.

Please add me to the list of requesters for this feature
  • Hi Charles,

I've added you to the list of requesters for SQL Dependency Tracker to support information about columns. The feature request that Eddie had originally opened is still waiting for review.

Any update on the status of this feature request (or whether it has already been added and I don't know it :) )?
  • This is a feature that we hope to add to SQL Prompt 5, due out fairly soon (let me know if you want to be added to the early adopter list). However, this won't display the information in graphical form, just as a list. Would this be an issue?

For the time being, it is possible to get a list of dependent objects by going through the Smart Rename process for a column using SQL Refactor, as this shows you which objects will be affected by the change!

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • This is a feature that we hope to add to SQL Prompt 5, due out fairly soon (let me know if you want to be added to the early adopter list). However, this won't display the information in graphical form, just as a list. Would this be an issue?

For the time being, it is possible to get a list of dependent objects by going through the Smart Rename process for a column using SQL Refactor, as this shows you which objects will be affected by the change!

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software

Thanks for the quick reply, David. Not having the graphical detail would not be a problem. I would just need the text to serve as an inventory of potential impact caused by changes between databases.

In the meantime,I appreciate the tip about using SQL Refactor to get the information I need. Thanks!
  • Did this ever get implemented? I'm attempting to use Dependency Tracker right now for this reason. 
  • SAYSAY Posts: 5 New member
    Does Dependancy Tracker track column dependancies? We need this as its main feature. Thanks.
  • SAYSAY Posts: 5 New member
    Does Dependancy Tracker track column dependancies? We need this as its main feature. Thanks.