ANTS menu & toolbar - most options greyed out in VS2005

I'm running VS2005 SP1 on Windows 2003 SP2 x64. I have just installed ANTS 4.3.0.198.

I have an ANTS 4 menu in VS2005 - but the top three items are always disabled, regardless of what file(s) I have open, or the type of project I'm working on. When should these menu options be enabled?

I also have an ANTS 4 toolbar, which I've closed, because every toolbutton in it is disabled - again, without regard to the project type, etc.

Theories?

I'm the meantime, I'm ignoring these options - frankly, this scant level of VS integration is almost more of a bother than a help anyway.

Comments

• Hi,

Are you on a non-English language computer with a non-English installation of Microsoft Visual Studio?

Stephen
  • StephenC wrote:
    Hi,

Are you on a non-English language computer with a non-English installation of Microsoft Visual Studio?

Stephen

No. English all around.
  • Hi,

In general the options grey out if the add-in doesn’t understand the project type. I think MVC ASP.NET applications produce this, but things like COM+ apps and services will confuse it as well. (Which in a way is fair enough, as these have to be installed after compiling and ANTS can’t do that for you)

Although if this is happening for all your project types then it would appear to be an issue that we currently don't know about. To my knowledge we haven't had any other reports of this with V4.

Hmm, it’s possible that something in VS’s configuration has screwed up the add-in. Normally this results in all of the menu items getting greyed out, though, rather than just one or two.

Running devenv /resetaddin RedGate.Profiler.AddIn.Connect ought to fix that problem if it has occurred.

Stephen
  • StephenC wrote:
    Hi,

In general the options grey out if the add-in doesn’t understand the project type. I think MVC ASP.NET applications produce this, but things like COM+ apps and services will confuse it as well. (Which in a way is fair enough, as these have to be installed after compiling and ANTS can’t do that for you)

The solution I'm working in now contains 22 projects:
    2 .NET EXE projects (one console, one WinForms)
    1 VC++ Makefile project (used to automate a bunch of post-build stuff)
    19 .NET DLL projects, of which 7 are VSTS unit test projects.

The Makefile project is the Startup Project in the solution.

If I remember, I'll try opening a solution that doesn't have a Makefile project in it to see if that's throwing it off (seems like the most likely candidate).
  • Any other suggestions?