Date Compared

billingerbillinger Posts: 3
With SQL Compare 7 in the "comparison projects" window there was a "Date Compared" column. I do not see this date anywhere in version 8. Is there a way to add this column to the version 8 "Projects" window?

Thanks,
John

Comments

• Thanks for the question.

In v8 we exposed comparison projects to the user as files, and therefore adopted the "Date Modified" file property.

Can I ask you why the "Date Compared" is important to you?

Kind regards,

David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • We have several databases. Every night I perform a SQL compare to keep the dev/production dbs in sync. I do not have time to do them all so each night I only sync up the two with the oldest "date compare". How can i keep track of when comparisons were made with v8?

Thanks
  • Thanks. I think I understand the problem. You'd like to mark your projects as having been synchronized so you know which ones you still need to address? We'll note this down as a feature request. If anyone else has a similar request, we'd love to hear from you so we can build up a case for helping solve this problem.

In the mean time you should be able to achieve something similar by clicking on the Save button after you've done your synchronization. This should set the Modified Date to today, and you can sort by this. Let me know if you think this workaround would work for you.

Kind regards,

David
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • David I think it's a good suggestion. As you may remember I am not a big fan of the new way you all wanted us to work with projects, and I don't bother saving my projects every time I perform a compare (in fact I often reuse a single project over and over again). If each project retained properties like last compared, last synchronized, etc. then it may make using multiple projects that much more attractive to me. This could be optional and could even use a data source to store the information.
  • It's an interesting idea to display what is effectively a history of past comparisons synchronizations. Is this something that should be associated with individual projects or should this be logged separately against the source and target databases?

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Well if I am being greedy (and I do that from time to time :-)) I would say it should be a function of the combination of source and target databases. Project can be additional metadata but isn't necessary (e.g. in my case where I re-use a generic project that I never save) and is probably irrelevant in a lot of cases.
  • Good point - I like the idea of a combination. If a new project is created and compared that has the same combination SQL Compare would display the date of comparison and/or synchronization.

We'll bear this in mind when we review the UI next time round.

Thanks for the input.

David
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software