SQL Backup won't start - HELP

Giggles220Giggles220 Posts: 154
edited April 20, 2009 1:22PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
When I start SQL backup v5 now I get the following error. It was working fine yesterday and I'm not sure what changed if anything. All I know is now I can't use the product at all

SQLBackup v5

Attempt to write a read-only database
attempt to write a readonly database
WorkerExecutionException

at RedGate.SQLBackup.Engine.ConfigurableThreadPool._1(Exception )
at RedGate.SQLBackup.Engine.ConfigurableThreadPool._1._2()
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

SQLiteException

Attempt to write a read-only database
attempt to write a readonly database

at System.Data.SQLite.SQLite3.Reset(SQLiteStatement stmt)
at System.Data.SQLite.SQLite3.Step(SQLiteStatement stmt)
at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteTransaction..ctor(SQLiteConnection connection, Boolean deferredLock)
at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteConnection.BeginTransaction(Boolean deferredLock)
at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteConnection.BeginTransaction()
at _6._2(SqlConnection , UpdateRequest , _5 )
at _6._1(SqlConnection , UpdateRequest , _5 , Boolean )
at _6._2(Object )

Comments

• Hi there,

Can you try closing SQL Backup and then deleteing the files in

C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Server Data

Thanks,

- James
    James Moore
    Head of DBA Tools
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • THANK YOU
    my problem is now fixed.
  • Additionally, the error message will occur if any of the following are true for the files in the directory "C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Server Data":
    * Your account has the necessary security permissions to write to the file, but the file has the read-only attribute applied.
    * The file is not writeable by your user account, due to restricted security permissions.

Removing the read-only attribute or ensuring the user account has the necessary read/write permissions to the directory should also resolve the problem.

Jason
  • I would get this message with a couple of dat files in this folder and lockfile.pid in the parent folder being compressed. Permission were ok, no read-only attributes. I'll see how it goes...

SQL Backup version 5.4.0.55
  • After initially deleting the files in C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Server Data, The problem first went away for a day or so. But it returned, and I discovered a couple of the files had been compressed, so I decompressed them. I checked the permissions, and my user account has full rights to both the folder and the files. But that didn't seem to help.

I can start SQL Backup, and I can perform backup and restore, but if I leave it up, I get one of these messages for each instance SQL Backup shows (at least that is my suspicion with three error dialogs and three instances.