Options

Underscore characters, format styles

danhdanh Posts: 3
edited April 20, 2009 9:01AM in SQL Doc Previous Versions
Hello, I very much like my recently purchased SQL Doc 2.
fyi, I am in the UK with OS locality set to Great Britain where possible.

However, I do have a couple of defects to report ;

1. For some reason an upper case character is prefixed by the "¬" character in many parts of the detail document.
Should be easily fixed with an Edit/Replace in Word but it doesnt seem to find them ?

following is excerpt from a Used By subsection.
the real name is vwDim_Currency, and is shown correctly in the TOC.

[dbo].[vw¬Dim_¬Currency]

2. Outline view in Word is foxed by the object names in tables, meaning that it isn't possible to view things in outline view of automatically clear out levels of detail.

Thanks
dan

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Dan,

I'm sorry but I haven't seen this issue before. Can you please output the documentation as HTML without frames and send it to support (at) red-gate.com? Then we can have a look at it.

Thanks!
  • Options
    The magic characters are things called 'Optional Hypen Character's. They are inserted in order to make Word choose to line break at 'nice' places where neccesary. e.g. "vwDim[break]Currency" rather than "vwD[break]imCurrency".
    They should only be visible when you have the 'Display all formatting' option enabled in word. (I think that's what it's called, don't have Word to hand atm.), and not in any printed output. I'm afraid I can't give you any strategy for removing them from the actual document, but I suspect it's possible.

The issue with outline view is one we are aware of, unfortunately we didn't manage to work out a neat solution that allowed us to get the formatting right. I know that open office is able to show the outline correctly if that's any help! Out of interest could you tell us why you were wanting to use the outline view? It's all useful stuff to add to the change request!
  • Options
    1 - optional hyphen
    I have just previously viewed in Word (245 page document) not printed.
    I have output to PDF and it is fine there, thanks for clearing that up.
    Also, if i turn view formatting off they disappear too - sorry to be a bit dense with that.
    That is fine with me - it doesn't appear to be possible to do a Find/Replace on them, same with the Section breaks.

2 - Outline view
    As noted above, this document (not for a big database either, really) is 245 pages long - I use this doc in Word (really don't want to print the doc, useless due to its size and out of date immediately), and it would be nice to be able to use Outline view just showing up to Level 3 to make it easy to browse and view the doc.

Thanks for your response !

dan