This alert is still being written to...

fatherjack2fatherjack2 Posts: 311
Hi,

I have SQL Response showing a Blocked SQL Process (Last occurred is 25 minutes ago) but the details pane shows:

"The system is currently updating this alert, and until then its details are unavailable. Please try again later."

I have run sp_who and sp_lock on the server and cannot find any blocks.

What am I witnessing and should it be like this?

cheers

Jonathan

Senior DBA
Careers South West Ltd

Comments

• dlkjdlkj Posts: 151
    edited April 7, 2010 10:57AM
    Hi Jonathan,

This is a known bug with SQL Response (SSR-1212 in our bug track system)

This is due to be fixed for the next release of SQL Response (which is due to be released Q1 2009)

Restarting the SQL Response Alert Repository service may fix the issue temporarily.

It would be helpful if you could email me your SQL Response Alert Repository log files. They can be found on your Alert Repository at [ALL USERS]\Application Data\Red Gate\Logs\SQL Response Alert Repository 1 .

Cheers,
    --
    Daniel
  • I'm running into the same problem and I'm running version 1.2. My alert is hours old yet won't show me the info. I tried restarting the service and now I get this error: This can happen if SQL Response encountered a problem and stopped while it was creating the alert file, the alert file has been deleted, or is inaccessible for some other reason.
  • Hi Giggles,

I'm sorry to hear about that. Could you follow the steps above and send me your latest Alert Repository log files.

Cheers,
    --
    Daniel
  • Hi Giggles,

Which alerts are you seeing this for?

Is it localised to a single server? If so, which one?

Does it happen for each occurrence, or just the odd one (what sort of % are affected)?

Cheers,
    --
    Daniel
  • I monitor 3 server instances, I've had this happen on 2 of them. The one I wrote down was for a job duration unusual for 1 particular job. I haven't had it happen again.
  • Hi Giggles,

Could you email me the machine name and the occurrence time of the alert so I can try and correlate the error with the log files.

Cheers,
    --
    Daniel
  • Hi Giggles,

thanks for your email.

Unfortunately, I can't find anything conclusive in the log files that would indicate the problem. Could you let me know if it happens again.

Cheers,
    --
    Daniel
  • I have 4 servers logged (MSQ SQL 2000 SP4) and the same behaviour on deadlocks : even after 1 day the following message is shown

The system is currently updating this alert, and until then its details are unavailable. Please try again later.

All following deadlocks are captured and It looks like the messages are stored in SQL error log. after 2 or 3 days the log is so big that enterprise manager wont open it and I have to use sp_cycle_errorlog to start a new one.
  • Hi cneyb,

Which version of SQL Response are you using? Have you upgraded to 1.3?

--
    Daniel
  • Hi Daniel,

I have version 1.3 and it looks like this problems begins with version 1.3

Christian
  • dlkjdlkj Posts: 151
    edited April 7, 2010 10:59AM
    Hi Christian,

Please email me your SQL Response Alert Repository log files. They can be found on your Alert Repository at [ALL USERS]\Application Data\Red Gate\Logs\SQL Response Alert Repository 1 .

Cheers,
    --
    Daniel
  • Hi Christian,

Were you seeing this 'details are unavailable' problem with 1.2? Did it get better or worse when you changed to 1.3?

How often do you see this? Is it on a specific type of alert, or just at random?

Cheers,
    --
    Daniel
  • Hi Daniel,

Things were better with version 1.2, but what I actually see is that deadlocks errors are not logged at all as soon I get the 'details unavailable' message.

I kow that they are actally deadlocks oevery day on one of the servers but SQL Response only shows as last error the one who activates the 'details unavailable' message.

After the message, it is impossible to stop the repository service, I have to kill the process trough taskmgr.

An idea ?

Best regards,

Christian
  • Hi!

O have the same problem, which started after upgrading to 1.3.

After I kill process with task manager it works for some time (max 1 day) ...

Best regards,

Marko.