Options

Installation fails-MSI returned failure code InstallFailure

meklemblmeklembl Posts: 107 Bronze 2
Installation fails-MSI returned failure code InstallFailure (1603)

Locally on my workstation, I attempted to run the install from SQL Toolbelt and from the separate download of SQL_Comparison_SDK_8.0.0.105.exe. At least in both case the error was the same.
Larry M
Cleveland, OH USA

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi,

Unbfortunately "1603" is a generic failure code. You can access the installation log by clicking the icon in the installer's toolbar and selecting "view log". If you have any problem interpreting the information in the log, I'd recommend emailing it to support@red-gate.com with an explanation about the failure message you're getting.
  • Options
    meklemblmeklembl Posts: 107 Bronze 2
    Forwarded the log files to support.
    Larry M
    Cleveland, OH USA
  • Options
    Thanks. This looks like the same issue we've seen twice already today where the installation fails because you've redirected your "My Documents" folder to a network share. From the log it does appear that the failure is to create the user options file so that the references are correct when you first build a project.

We will see if we can get this fixed, but in the meantime, using a folder on local disk for "My Documents" should let it do its' magic.
  • Options
    Same problem here, and I also have My Documents on a network share (and Vista x64 as platform, if that makes any difference). Interesting enough, all the other applications in the Toolbelt install fine.
  • Options
    SQL Comparison SDK's installer is unique in that, once it copies all of the example projects to the My Documents folder, it tries to modify the .csproj and .vbproj files so that the assembly reference paths reflect the location where the SDK's assemblies are copied.

For reasons I'm unaware of, the ExecuteXml function fails over network shares and mapped drives. It's not a .NET managed code policy problem as was my first suspicion...

Anyway, we are looking to get this fixed in the next release.
  • Options
    ametelskiametelski Posts: 1 New member
    I've been having some problem trying to reinstall Sql Search. I keep getting the following message.