ANTS Profiler giving error while starting profiling

Hi,

I want to check the performance of my site. I installed ANTS Profiler 4.3 and set the setting of it. But when I click on Start Profiling it gives me error. When I clicked on Show details it was having 3 errors:-
1) Could not launch the task to be profiled.
2) Could not start IIS.
3) Type 'bz' in Assembly 'RedGate.Profiler.Engine, Version=4.3.0.198, Culture=netural, PublicTokenKey=7f465a1c156d4d57' is not marked as serializable.

I could not understand this error.
Can anyone please help me out to user ANTS Profiler?

Thanks,
Chetan.

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi and thanks for your post. ANTS Profiler has thrown some sort of internal exception type and can't display the information because it's not "serializable" -- so there are two issues here, one is that the IIS startup has failed and the other is that the exception details can't be displayed because the exception class defined in the ANTS Profiler code is not serializable.

I would concentrate on the first failure and try to work out why the IIS start had failed.

What version of IIS are you profiling, what is the URL that you have told it to profile, and are there any events in the application log when ANTS Profiler fails to start IIS?
  • Hi Brian,

I am using IIS 6 and also checked the event in application log but there is no error associated with ANTS Profiler. I using localhost URL.

Thanks,
    Chetan.
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    I can see a few possibilities. The most likely is that the ANTS Performance Profiler 4 Service could not be started. If that is the case, the reason may be in the ANTS Profiler logs that you find in %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Red Gate\ANTS Performance Profiler 4\

The only other situation that causes this exception is if you are in IIS 5 isolation mode and ANTS is failing to restart IIS.

Hopefully that's enough to figure out what the problem is.