IIS7 and Integrated Pipeline Mode

I'm using ANTS 4.3.0.198, IIS7 on Windows Vista with a .NET 3.5 website set for Integrated Pipeline mode. The project is created in Visual Studio 2008.

Unfortunately, I am not able to profile the project. Here is what I've run into:

1. Profiling on the Original Port - IE7 is unable to connect to the website at all, "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage", with a connection problem.
2. Profiing on port 8013 - Could not launch the task to be profiled, Timed out waiting for port 8013 to become available.

After reviewing some other posts on this forum, I've tried the following:
1) Disabling my firewall.
2) Disabling UAC.
3) Created a new Administrator account called IISProfiler, and manually specifying he ASP.NET account details (both for original port and 8013)

Unfortunately, Cassini doesn't support the Integrated Pipeline features I've specified in my web.config file, so using the web development server isn't an option.

Are there other things I can try?

JK

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    It sounds like ANTS Profiler is causing your web application to crash. You should find additional information about that in the application event log, under the category "hostablewebcore".

If your application depends on Integrated Pipeline mode, ANTS Profiler will cause a problem because it creates its' test application pool in "classic" mode. If you don't want ANTS Profiler to reconfigure your application pool, you can try my ANTS Application Host program and use it to run your web application and then tell ANTS Profiler to profile the application host as a console application.

I hope this helps.
  • Brain, thank you very much for your host applicatoin.

It worked perfectly, and I have the profiling data I need.

I hope a planned ANTS upgrade has your host application as a built-in option for profiling.

JK
  • If your application depends on Integrated Pipeline mode, ANTS Profiler will cause a problem because it creates its' test application pool in "classic" mode.

Is this true with the latest release? I have the opposite problem:

Windows 2008x64 / IIS7 / Classic app pool.
    In the ASP.NET application, I refer to the Request object in Application_Start in global.asax. This is ok in Classic mode but won't work in Integrated mode.
    When running ANTS profiler on this web application, it chokes on this line ("System.Web.HttpException: Request is not available in this context"), so it seems that ANTS is trying to run the application in Integrated mode.
    Is there any way to prevent this?
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    As far as I know, ANTS Performance and ANTS Memory profilers still create an application pool with a hard-coded configuration. Using the Application host utility as above should copy all of your configuration to the application pool used for testing so that it should work exactly the same as it does when it runs hosted in IIS.