Restore To Different Server

adriangodongadriangodong Posts: 11
edited April 8, 2009 10:10AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi, I'm using SQL Backup 5.2.0.

I have a production server running remotely, doing backups stored on a NAS.

I have a staging server running locally, which I connect to.

I want to do a restore from production backup to staging server.

I've used the NAS, but this become so tedious because I need to add each and every sqb file to the restore window one by one.

I'm now trying to restore directly from production server backup history instead of files.

On Step 3, I can't select the staging server (the server field is locked to the production server).

Is this scenario not supported or do I miss something?

Cheers!

Comments

• Hi,

Sorry but if you start from the backup history then you cannot change the target server. I have logged this and we would try to support this is future version of SQL Backup.

Not sure whether you have noticed or not but you can multiselect the files in file browser.

Thanks,
    Priya
    Priya Sinha
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software
  • Cool.

We're using network share, the network share root on the file browser does not display anything. Is it possible that the future version uses Windows file browser instead of some custom browser?
  • Oh, and a notification system for the forum would be useful too.
  • Cool.

We're using network share, the network share root on the file browser does not display anything. Is it possible that the future version uses Windows file browser instead of some custom browser?

Hi,

If you have permissions on the network share then it should display the shared folders on the network. Can you please run the following in query analyzer and let us know if it returns any results:

exec master..sqbdir '\\mynetworkshare\share'

Thanks,
    Priya
    Priya Sinha
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software
  • Oh, and a notification system for the forum would be useful too.

Hi,

If you go to your profile then you have an option called 'Always notify me of replies'. Please set this on and this should then notify you.

Thanks,
    Priya
    Priya Sinha
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software
  • I saw all the files available.

Therefore, something must've been wrong when I browsed the files.

Apparently, you'll have to add a network share to the field called sql server first before you can browse the files. Very confusing.

Point 2, I have to use network share path with one level above the backup directory. Otherwise, the .sqb file behave like empty directories.
    For instance, if my sqb is at "\\nas\\backup\database\asd.sqb", I have to add "\\nas\\backup" instead of "\\nas\\backup\database".

Hope those two pain points are addressed in future version.
    priyasinha wrote:
    Hi,

If you have permissions on the network share then it should display the shared folders on the network. Can you please run the following in query analyzer and let us know if it returns any results:

exec master..sqbdir '\\mynetworkshare\share'

Thanks,
    Priya
  • So it's all or nothing. Hmm...
    priyasinha wrote:
    Hi,

If you go to your profile then you have an option called 'Always notify me of replies'. Please set this on and this should then notify you.

Thanks,
    Priya
  • Here's the batch file I am using to restore my test server. Perhaps you could do something similar:

@echo on

del B:\Restore\*.* /s /q

c:\Robocopy\ROBOCOPY.EXE /JOB:c:\Robocopy\CPOPM2_RESTORE1.RCJ
    c:\Robocopy\ROBOCOPY.EXE /JOB:c:\Robocopy\CPOPM2_RESTORE2.RCJ
    c:\Robocopy\ROBOCOPY.EXE /JOB:c:\Robocopy\CPOPM2_RESTORE3.RCJ

ren B:\Restore\CentricityPM\*.sqb FULL_CentricityPM.sqb
    ren B:\Restore\CPM_Production\*.sqb FULL_CPM_Production.sqb
    ren B:\Restore\CPM_Reports\*.sqb FULL_CPM_Reports.sqb

SQL Backup command line interface can only work on local servers.

CD "C:\Program Files\Red Gate\SQL Backup\(LOCAL)"

SqlBackupC -SQL "RESTORE DATABASE [CentricityPM] FROM DISK = 'B:\Restore\CentricityPM\FULL_CentricityPM.sqb' WITH RECOVERY, MOVE 'CentricityPM_DB' TO 'D:\MSSQL\Data\CentricityPM.mdf', MOVE 'PatientVisit_Table' TO 'D:\MSSQL\Data\CentricityPM_1.NDF', MOVE 'PatientVisit_Text' TO 'D:\MSSQL\Data\CentricityPM_2.NDF', MOVE 'PatientVisit_Indexes' TO 'D:\MSSQL\Data\CentricityPM_3.NDF', MOVE 'CentricityPM_Log' TO 'E:\MSSQL\Data\CentricityPM.ldf', REPLACE" -E

SqlBackupC -SQL "RESTORE DATABASE [CPM_Production] FROM DISK = 'B:\Restore\CPM_Production\FULL_CPM_Production.sqb' WITH RECOVERY, MOVE 'CPM_Production_Data' TO 'D:\MSSQL\Data\CPM_Production.MDF', REPLACE" -E

SqlBackupC -SQL "RESTORE DATABASE [CPM_Reports] FROM DISK = 'B:\Restore\CPM_Reports\FULL_CPM_Reports.sqb' WITH RECOVERY, MOVE 'CPM_Reports_Data' TO 'D:\MSSQL\Data\CPM_Reports.MDF', REPLACE" -E

exit

You can get ROBOCOPY from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9D467A69-57FF-4AE7-96EE-B18C4790CFFD&displaylang=en

Cheers![/url]
    Eric (Rick) Sheeley, Sr. SQL/Oracle DBA
    Sacramento, CA Cell: 602.540.6750
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx
  • I saw all the files available.

Therefore, something must've been wrong when I browsed the files.

Apparently, you'll have to add a network share to the field called sql server first before you can browse the files. Very confusing.

Point 2, I have to use network share path with one level above the backup directory. Otherwise, the .sqb file behave like empty directories.
    For instance, if my sqb is at "\\nas\\backup\database\asd.sqb", I have to add "\\nas\\backup" instead of "\\nas\\backup\database".

Hope those two pain points are addressed in future version.

Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience. Point 2 has been addressed already. Please try version 5.4 of SQL Backup.

Regarding your first point ... the label has already been changed to make it more clearer. Please try 5.4.

But I agree that there are some usability issues with the existing file browser when adding network share. We did hear this from few more users and hence decided to re-write the file browser completely. This will be released in next version of SQL Backup. So please try 5.4 and also wait for the next release which will have much improved file browser.

Thanks,
    Priya
    Priya Sinha
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software